Group Project and Intellectual Property Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

smdrager

For a class project, I created a piece of software (a peer-review journal management system). It was a group project, and I had 4 group members, however they are not technical and did not contribute at all to the design or programming. Instead I had them do documents which described the project which had to be handed in.

I am trying to sell my work as a monthly fee to a professor, however he says his department head says I need to get my group members to sign a written release for their intellectual property.

Q: Must it actually be a signed paper release, or would an email suffice?

Q: Where can I find an example release document, or can I write one myself? If I write one myself, how should I word it and how detailed to I have to be?

Thanks!

1. Just because you wrote the tech specs doesn't mean that you "own" that part of the work. I can't really assess percentages of what you may or may not ultimately own because there are too many facts not presented.

2. Nobody will accept an email as a release. From just a basic, common sense perspective, how can the email and consent be verified? Unless you have actual digital signatures, this will not suffice and you'd need a signed release.

3. Good luck getting the release. I don't know the relationship you have with your group members but, if they figure out you're asking for a release because you're getting paid, be prepared to discuss this matter with them. They may feel that they deserve something for their efforts - I'm just saying, be prepared.

4. With regard to a release, we have a "work for hire" agreement posted here in the forms section, which is being revised. This contains the statements you need for a release although there are more professionally prepared and better tailored documents that have all the proper wording and terminology for the transfer of all rights with regard to a copyright. No, I do not advise you doing this yourself. This is far from a simple agreement, especially in light of the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back