Grounds for breaking our lease ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bibber

Ok so my husband and me moved in to our apartment November of 2014 for a 12 month lease and its been a problem from the start. We moved and very shortly found out this is a really really bad infestation of cockroaches. We called and wrote them about it..but still a big problem And now that the time has gone on we have neighbors that moved in that are now causing more issues.. We have had to call the police more then 4 times about then blasting there music and tv all hours of the night.. They are alway screaming and yelling to. And to top it all off they our drug dealers so they have people banging and I mean banging on there door ALL HOURS. When they do this it shakes my door.. Witch no one should be banging on any of the doors since there is a lock of the front of the building that u can't get in unless u have a key so these people break in to the building in the first place. But now on top of that I've have people now trying to break in to my apartment.. I'm home a lot at nights a lot since my husband works over night I'm also 30 weeks pregnant so this is really scary for me. We also are now having people banging on our door thinking we are the people upstairs, I'm guessing they can't count.. So all hours of the day now I have dope heads banging on my door and they our loud talking about getting drugs.. And the last time someone banged on my door they were screaming they were the police lucky I was a work and my husband was home, cause I know I would of out my door.. I'm really fear for my safety and my unborn child's safety.. We have had people break throw the front door of the apartment trashing the hole lower leave, they is always strange men hanging in the hallways so it's really hard to walk even out to my car. We have talked to the police and they told us that nothin Nothing illegal is happening so they will not do anything, or even look in to it. we've also talked to the owner of the building, he told us to handle it.. So I think it would be best if we just leave. Our building has about 20 units.. And is ran by a company so I'm worried that they won't let us out of the lease legally.. I just want to know if we have grounds to leave?

Talk to the management on site, see what reaction you receive form your proposition.
Legally you don't have anything that would allow you to break your lease without a penalty.
Ask your landlord what it would cost if you were to break your lease on May 1st, for example.
Generally you are allowed to get out of lease by paying a fee to the landlord.
In many cases, the landlord wants a portion of what remains on the lease.
There's no way anyone but the property owner can say what he or she will allow you to pay to break the lease.
Ask, see what you can discover, and then decide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back