Green dot bank (Wal-Mart money card) froze my account

tanyasthe1

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
Please help. I have been using a walmart money card as my bank account. I have almost $1600 in there. I tried using my card a the store last night, and was declined. I called customer service, (not U.S. based) and was told I should put my groceries away, because corporate is closed until 5 am Pacific time. I am in Hawaii. I waited until 2am my time, and called again. After being on hold for 1 hour and 17 minutes, they finally answered. Went through the run around, and finally got transferred to "Joseph". He told me per their rules and regulations I either made to many deposits or used too much of my own money, and my account is frozen. I asked him if he could place me in a spend down status, instead of frozen, so I could at least access my funds. She said no. Then said he cannot release the hold on my funds either. He was very rude. Asking me, "What is it you don't understand here" and when I told him I had kids to feed, and that $1600 Is my only money, his response was, "That is not my problem." He told me he may get back to me in 2 days, meanwhile, I have no access to my money. He said he had to call the compliance department. When I asked for their number, he told me they will not accept outside calls. I asked to please speak to a different manager, and he told me he was the highest manager and that every one else would tell me the same thing. Then he refused to transfer me to anyone else. As it stands, they are still holding my almost $1600 hostage, keeping my account frozen. I have 3 kids, and we cannot use our money
It is as if we do not have a penny to our names. Can anyone help me find a way to get this resolved? Please, I appreciate it. Thank you. -Tanya Swain

Can anyone help me find a way to get this resolved?

Unfortunately you are at their mercy.

I suggest you request to close the account and have the money refunded to you.

You apparently ran afoul of one of their many rules.

In the future it is bets to avoid using these services and opening an account at a credit union if you have had issues with checking accounts in the past.

Credit unions often tend to be tad more forgiving, especially if its a local credit union run by a charitable, civic, or church group for community members to have account access.

If for some unusual reason, try to keep the amount loaded on the card under $499.99, load more as you need it.

But, do try to get away from those rip off services, as they make money off of the troubles of people who can't get regular bank accounts.

They are to the financial world what slum lords are to apartment rentals in the worst parts of town.

Unfortunately you are at their mercy.

I suggest you request to close the account and have the money refunded to you.

You apparently ran afoul of one of their many rules.

In the future it is bets to avoid using these services and opening an account at a credit union if you have had issues with checking accounts in the past.

Credit unions often tend to be tad more forgiving, especially if its a local credit union run by a charitable, civic, or church group for community members to have account access.

If for some unusual reason, try to keep the amount loaded on the card under $499.99, load more as you need it.

But, do try to get away from those rip off services, as they make money off of the troubles of people who can't get regular bank accounts.

They are to the financial world what slum lords are to apartment rentals in the worst parts of town.

I just clicked on close account. It says that feature is not available on this account.

I was referring to calling and writing a letter (sent via priority mail with tracking number) instructing them you want to close your account.

They'll piddle about, killing time, but you should eventually get your money.

How long?

Guessing four to eight weeks.

Contacting your state's banking agency might get you some help:

Financial Institutions

I was referring to calling and writing a letter (sent via priority mail with tracking number) instructing them you want to close your account.

They'll piddle about, killing time, but you should eventually get your money.

How long?

Guessing four to eight weeks.

Contacting your state's banking agency might get you some help:

Financial Institutions
Awesome! Thank you for clarifying. I will do that. And just filed a complaint with the BBB.

I tried to, by clicking on close account, but it said it is not an option for my card. I filed a complaint with the BBB.

The BBB you will discover is useless.

The BBB has no ability to sanction the card issuer, or get your money back.

The link I provided you might be able to assist you, your HI state banking regulator.

Back