Permanent Residency Green Card via mom's sponsorship questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

smith05

My mother (u.s. citizen) filed green card petitions for my sister and myself (we are both over the age of 21) in early 2002. Our priority date is May 2002.

The last letter we rec'd was about a year ago saying that our applications were forwarded to the embassy in our country.
I have not heard anything since..:confused:

Can anyone provide some insight on what I should expect next? The rest of the process, interview, medical, fees etc?

I understand I need to now wait on a package from embassy and I will have 3 months to complete medical and do interview, is this correct?

According to the Visa Bulletin (for my category) in the January bulletin, they are processing Feb priority date applications.
Is it safe to predict that April or May this year I should have the green card in my hand or should I not expect the embassy to contact me for interview/medical until that time?
Also, I found out today my sister is pregnant and due in August. She has no intention to get married however will this new development prove problematic in her application?

Thanks for your time.

Your sister's baby will not pose a problem. Depending on if she gets her GC before or after she gets here. If she gets the baby out of the US, it would take filling and a long wait to get the baby to the US. But if she gets her baby here…………..fine. I would guess your interview would be by July. Keep check the dates they are revised and updated from time to time. There is no exact science to know with certainty. It varies on current embassy rates around the world and in your embassy; it also varies on availabilities of visas or GCs. When the date of your interview is made, you would receive a mail via your lawyer or address in the system. Sometimes the letter comes within just two weeks of the date……….. All fees, medical, recognized hospitals……. and relevant info are posted in your embassy………You can go check it there.

Mafioso,

Thank you for your prompt response. Do you have any idea how long is the turn around from interview to actual green card in one's hand?

Once you get your forms filled, your medicals done, and have all relevant documents, it goes really fast. You can get your travel documents from the embassy in most cases less than a month after your interview date. It some cases even just a week if you have no further complication. If your file is complete is goes really fast in pretty much all embassies.

You too.........anytime.

Mafioso,

Hoping all is well on your end.
Two follow up questions for you -

1. What's going on with the Visa Bulletin?
May 2008 bulletin shows 08MAR02 for my category.
Seeing my priority date is May 2002 and things seemed to have slowed down..I'm guesstimating more to the end of the year for appointment/green card. What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm looking at studying in the U.S in the fall on a student visa. Would I need to return to my home country's embassy to complete green card application when my priority date becomes current or would I be able to adjust my status/complete medical etc in u.s.?

3. Lastly, my sister has decided to come to the U.S. to be close to family and have her baby here. Do you have any recommendations where I can get info online on the cut off for her to travel, whether her baby would be considered a u.s. citizen etc. I have been looking for said information online with little success!

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Best Regards!

Mafioso,

Hoping all is well on your end.
Two follow up questions for you -

1. What's going on with the Visa Bulletin?
May 2008 bulletin shows 08MAR02 for my category.
Seeing my priority date is May 2002 and things seemed to have slowed down..I'm guesstimating more to the end of the year for appointment/green card. What are your thoughts?

I can't guess…………Sometimes changes in processing centers or internal immigration functioning can change the dates. I have no way of giving a reliable guess……..

Also, I'm looking at studying in the U.S in the fall on a student visa. Would I need to return to my home country's embassy to complete green card application when my priority date becomes current or would I be able to adjust my status/complete medical etc in u.s.?

You would probably be denied a student visa since you have applied for some form of adjustment of status already………that is what normally happens.

3. Lastly, my sister has decided to come to the U.S. to be close to family and have her baby here. Do you have any recommendations where I can get info online on the cut off for her to travel, whether her baby would be considered a U.S. citizen etc? I have been looking for said information online with little success!
Any baby born in the US is a US citizen. Don't know about the travel cuts……..

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Question on your following comment -

"You would probably be denied a student visa since you have applied for some form of adjustment of status already………that is what normally happens."

Even if my priority date does not become current by the summer and I'm interested in studying in the fall I will be denied for a student visa?
I did not forsee this being an issue prior.
The last student visa (undergrad) I obtained was ending of 2001...my application for green card was submitted early 2002 (with priority date being may 2002). I was granted 1 yr opt in June 2005 (when I graduated) where I worked for one yr in the U.S. I'm interested in doing my Masters this fall.

If you read the visa form there is a part asking if you have filed immigration papers for yourself or if any has been filed on your behalf. When you answer yes to that in your country's US embassy, the consul would generally tell you they can't give you a US visa due to your pending petition. They would say you need to wait for the results first. But try, you might be lucky. More than 90% of people are denied. Those who get it get it due to negligence by consuls who are too busy to notice your answer to the visa form about your filling for GC in the US.............

Cool...........Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back