1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Green Card Renewal & DUIs Other Immigration Law

Discussion in 'Immigration Issues' started by KatieBear, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatieBear

KatieBear Law Topic Starter New Member

We're getting ready to file my husband's green card renewal application (form I-90) and I'm worried about background checks etc. He was arrested on a DUI charge in 2003, resulting in a probation before judgment (PBJ). Then in 2012, he was pulled over and arrested for another DUI (after nearly 10 years, the whole time an active member of AA). And due to some confusion around updating his license after his court case, was pulled over in December 2013 for driving on a suspended license.

Also, one other matter in 2002 was later expunged - will that come up in a background check?

He didn't serve any jail time on the DUI's but I'm worried that these things combined will derail his chances of getting his green card renewed. Walking away from his green card and life here in the States isn't an option as we're raising our kids here (3 of the 4 of us were born here). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Criminal Charges and Convictions involving the abuse of adult beverages are considered violations of the moral turpitude clause.
    For the 1,000th time, I suggest you consult an immigration lawyer or the bureaucrats that administer Green Card Procesing at Homeland Seurity.

3. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

He really does need to speak with an attorney, and the timeline is absolutely crucial here - it's not simply a case of what he did, but also of when he did it relative to when he first got his green-card.

4. KatieBear

Amy, I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but you managed to leave me feeling like a cheap idiot with your response. Emoticons don't lessen the effect.

Please remember that people asking questions here are often frightened for their family and the future they may or may not have here at home - especially here on the immigration thread.

I've seen conflicting advice here when it comes to DUI's (such as jail time / length of time served) and would appreciate it if someone could address my specific concerns.

Thanks!

5. KatieBear

Thanks, Proserpina. He's got a lawyer for his DUI from 2012. He doesn't seem alarmed by all this but I'm just trying to gather a bit more information here before we file the renewal app.

6. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

That's AJ's signature line. It's on every post he makes.

7. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I am not responsible for how others feel, just as they are not responsible for how I feel.

The information offered here is FREE.

It is simply information, not legal advice, and no one should expect FREE legal advice.

Anything that is FREE should be looked at with much suspicion.

In all things of legal significance, seek the advice of an attorney you have hired and trust.

Make sure the attorney explains just what you're paying him or her to do by providing you with a signed retainer.

That's the contract upon which your attorney will proceed on your behalf.

All we do here is discuss things, much like strangers might do on an airplane, train, pub, coffee shop, or a waiting room.

Entrust your legal issues to a licensed (in your jurisdiction) lawyer.

8. disagreeable

disagreeable Well-Known Member

Remember, hubby was not so concerned about you and the kids that he straightened up his act.