Green Card Question?

Member9937

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My friend was stupid. She needed to borrow $1000 and she voluntarily gave her green card, SS card, and bank card to the person she borrowed the money from to hold as collateral to ensure she would pay back the money. She should not have done this. She could not repay the money and now this person is telling her that he will not give her things back until she pays him as promised. Can she get her sheriff to force him to give her these things back? He claims he has misplaced them and will not bother searching for them unless she pays him as agreed. He also had her sign a promissory note. Does she have any recourse? He did loan her the money but she is in debt up to her eyeballs and she was desperate I think. He is threatening to take her to small claims court. Any advice would be appreciated.

Can she get her sheriff to force him to give her these things back?

She can ASK the sheriff's department, I doubt that she'll be able to speak with the High Sheriff, because strangers can't speak for what the department will do,

Even if she were to report that the UNNAMED man STOLE her items, I doubt that he would ADMIT he took the items, or that he took the items fro collateral for the loan.

She could (or have another person to in her stead) SECRETLY record a conversation with the man and see if he will ADMIT to having possession of the items.

If she is able to do that, she could use the secret recording in an attempt to have law enforcement (perhaps the FBI, ICE, DHS, or CBP) act against the man to get her items back.

Under Georgia law, specifically O.C.G.A. § 16-11-66, you can record a conversation in Georgia if you are a party to the conversation without the knowledge or consent of the other party. This can be either on the phone or in any public or private place.

@army judge He did loan her the money. She also gave him the things mentioned as collateral. If she goes to the police and tells them he stole them from her, she would be lying. It really was stupid of her to do this IMO. Now, she told me she needs her green card to file her taxes and can't. I think she knew she might not be able to pay the money back, but she did it anyway out of desperation. Thanks for your reply.

If she goes to the police and tells them he stole them from her, she would be lying.

Stole, coerced, tricked, use whatever VERB you wish; he has no right to possess the Green Card, Social Security Card, and Bank Card.

Here is the law on Green Cards:
=====================================
After a Green Card is Granted a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) is issued to all permanent residents as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States.

If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times.

After a Green Card is Granted

Read this and suggest she tell the agency she lost her card.

Replacing Your Green Card
You should file Form I-90 >>> Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card <<< to replace your Green Card if your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

One problem solved. She can even apply online.

She can contact her bank and cancel the card that dude has, and her bank will send her a new card.

With your free, personal my Social Security account, you can receive personalized estimates of future benefits based on your real earnings, see your latest Statement, and review your earnings history. It even makes it easy to request a replacement Social Security Card or check the status of an application, from anywhere!

Start here to get that replacement card:

>>>: my Social Security | Social Security Administration

All problems eventually will be solved and dude will be holding USELESS junk.

Meanwhile, owing a debt isn't a crime.
Owing 1,000 debts isn't a crime.

Pay dude, or stiff dude, her choice.
I have no opinion on money owed to others.
I don't loan anyone money, so I'll never get stiffed.
If a relative has a sob story, I'll give the person the money, or tell them, that's too bad, but I won't help.

I say NO about 95% of the time.

Why not just seek replacement documents for each of these items? Wallets get lost or stolen all the time. The person just needs to contact the appropriate issuers to get a replacement.

Back