Criminal Law Green card fraud, marriage in question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestra

I am not sure if this goes to the marriage forum or the immigration forum. Hopefuly here.

I met and married and helped bring my husband to this country from India 4 years ago. We married, then he returned to India the same month and remained in India 2 years. He returned to US and has been here just two years ( of which we lived together only 1 year.) He moved to another state last Oct, and I just now joined him. When I moved here three weeks ago, I discovered that he had lied to me the whole time and just wanted to get his green card so he could work in this country and he has openly admitted this to me. None of his family or friends know he is married.. there is a 30 year age difference. he has spent all my retirement money, and now threatenes to leave me and either go back to india if I turn him in ( I have used all my resources to help him get a job and go forward in his career and this would leave me with nothing, including a car, as he has gone through all my money, or he will get a "regular" divorce in which he will contest the need to pay alimony. I am 60, he is 28 and I do not know who to contact to find out what I can do legally to protect myself. Any ideas of who to contact. He has not yet received his permanent greencard.. He just went for fingerprinting and picture and they have not yet scheduled an interview. He has no one on his side who even knows he is married. Everyone who has helped him get here are my friends. Where do I go from here?

Wow, I feel your pain. You need an immigration lawyer ASAP. There are methods immigration handles people like your husband who used you to get papers. They are always excited to catch one. A green card or even citizenship to a foreign born can be revoked at anytime. It is your call if you will want to pursue sending him back and facing criminal charges. It is possible but only an immigration lawyer can stop his green card and help immigration charge him with a fraudulent marriage of convenience….etc. If you told the immigration officer during your final interview to give him the green card, they will suspend it and work with you………investigate and make a decision. You can do it………the choice is yours. He might become really sweet and nice before the interview. Once he gets it, reversing it would be harder. You have a good chance now. Good luck!

My husband has a conditional 2 year green card that he has had for 7 months. We are separated, and I am considering a divorce. I feel he used me to get his card. Even though we have been married 5 years, he only arrived 7 mos. ago due to a 3 year restriction on his visa. What are the consequences for both of us if the divorce takes place before the 2 years?

My husband has a conditional 2 year green card that he has had for 7 months. We are separated, and I am considering a divorce. I feel he used me to get his card. Even though we have been married 5 years, he only arrived 7 mos. ago due to a 3 year restriction on his visa. What are the consequences for both of us if the divorce takes place before the 2 years?

This poster has already posted a "homework" question before hijacking this thread.;)

Thank you Mafioso. I appreciate your time. That helps alot. I was unaware that we had to go through a final interview. Will that interview enable him to get a permanent green card? How long is it good for? I'll definitely check into a lawyer.
On the divorce issue, he will still have to discuss the divorce during the interview right, and justify why it happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back