Greatest invention of all time = sliced bread!

army judge

Super Moderator
breadmachine.png

On this day, July 7, in 1928, a bakery in Chillicothe, Mo., was the first to sell pre-cut bread using Otto Frederick Rohwedder's invention: the automatic bread-slicing machine.

An advertisement touted it as "the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped," customers were very wary.

Yet today, we often hear people saying, "It was the greatest thing since sliced bread!"

Here's how sandwiches were made before bread slicing was invented.

51920132012175.jpg

I know, you had to slice through the bread to get that far. Just suspend your common sense for a minute and enjoy the joke.

Strangely enough, after almost 6 decades of sliced bread use my wife and I have reverted to usually buying unsliced bread. I've noticed a lot less waste and the ability to decide the thickness lets one loaf work for multiple uses.

Strangely enough, after almost 6 decades of sliced bread use my wife and I have reverted to usually buying unsliced bread. I've noticed a lot less waste and the ability to decide the thickness lets one loaf work for multiple uses.

Mebbe youse ain't woke? LOL ;)

I bake my own bread, except now in the summer it's too hot to run the oven. So, instead of sandwiches I have fresh garden lettuce wrap sandwiches.

View attachment 3283

On this day, July 7, in 1928, a bakery in Chillicothe, Mo., was the first to sell pre-cut bread using Otto Frederick Rohwedder's invention: the automatic bread-slicing machine.

In 1943 the federal government tried banning sliced bread as a war rationing strategy to keep bread costs low (and supposedly also save the amount of material used to wrap the bread). It was an extremely unpopular move and lasted all of about 2 months. And not even much paper was saved during the ban.

I read an article about what "woke" is and I still don't understand what "woke" is. I guess one has to be "woke" to understand "woke." I'm not "woke."
Woke is the past tense of wake. When you wake up and recognize the social and racial injustice you are said to be woke.

Back