Granparent rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria_Self

I have a grandparent's visitation rights problem. My daughter has two children 2 and 4 months boy and girl.I truly love my grand kids, din't we all.I found out that she had been doing drugs, meth, again.I also found that her live in boyfriend had beat her. I learned all this through a very reliable source, the boyfriends mom, we're good friends.I took it upon myself to call his anger management program office to report that he was still hitting her,and since it was court mandated it wasn't doing any good because he continued to beat her, and I felt they should know.So immediately she claims to have received a phone call from child prtective services,and of course she suspected it was my doing.I didn't call CPS, I called on him.None the less she called me immediately to inform me that I was never to step foot in their house again or attempt to see my grandchildren.Mind you they physically fought in front of the two yr. old and the baby.The two yr. old seemed to be in some shock. I felt someone had to protect these children from this torture, does anyone have any good advice for me, as Both my husband and I truly miss our little loved ones.You can't imagine what pain I have endured over this, and again I guess this is the price I must pay, or is it?
Sincerely,
Maria

Originally posted by Maria Self
I have a grandparent's visitation rights problem. My daughter has two children 2 and 4 months boy and girl.I truly love my grand kids, din't we all.I found out that she had been doing drugs, meth, again.I also found that her live in boyfriend had beat her. I learned all this through a very reliable source, the boyfriends mom, we're good friends.I took it upon myself to call his anger management program office to report that he was still hitting her,and since it was court mandated it wasn't doing any good because he continued to beat her, and I felt they should know.So immediately she claims to have received a phone call from child prtective services,and of course she suspected it was my doing.I didn't call CPS, I called on him.None the less she called me immediately to inform me that I was never to step foot in their house again or attempt to see my grandchildren.Mind you they physically fought in front of the two yr. old and the baby.The two yr. old seemed to be in some shock. I felt someone had to protect these children from this torture, does anyone have any good advice for me, as Both my husband and I truly miss our little loved ones.You can't imagine what pain I have endured over this, and again I guess this is the price I must pay, or is it?
Sincerely,
Maria

My heart does truly go out to you. But from my understanding of the law at least here in New York there is no such thing as grandparents rights. As lousy at it may seem call CPS with there help you can achive either custody of the children or at least temporary custody untill there parent / parents are fit to raise children. That will only be determined by a court. But please do not call CPS just because you are mad at the person. That can easily blow up in your face so to speak. Filing a false report against someone can open a large door for litigation to be taken against you.. The reason I mention this is because I unfortunatly had to go through the same thing with my own mother. Not to get into the whole story, but her intentions were made solely out of anger and after about the 3rd CPS call I had no choice but to take her to court for the false reports. Not being heartless I did not sue her for any money but I just did it to make a point. "I am a good father." and I would not stand for the false reports any longer. But if what you say is true, I would call CPS immediatly and file a report. Far to many times I see situiations like this and nothing is ever done about it. Like yourself I beleive the children should not be in a situiation like the one you mentioned. They just may very well be better off in your custody untill there true parents can prove the responsibility it takes to raising a child in todays society.

Hope this helps,

James

Please take notice.. I am not an attorney nor do I practice law in any way. I am only stating personal experiences and how they had worked for me.

James

Re: Re: Granparent rights

Yes... and no. Grandparents don't have rights in the traditional sense but if you feel that your grandchildren are in significant danger (and you can prove it) then it is possile to file for an emergency restraining order and temporary custody of your grandchildren. I do NOT want to encourage this because I have seen this power abused greatly when there was litle more than a serious difference of opinion in raising the child. jmichael's post makes some good points and it sounds like he has some experience with this as well...

Originally posted by jmichael
My heart does truly go out to you. But from my understanding of the law at least here in New York there is no such thing as grandparents rights. As lousy at it may seem call CPS with there help you can achive either custody of the children or at least temporary custody untill there parent / parents are fit to raise children. That will only be determined by a court. But please do not call CPS just because you are mad at the person. That can easily blow up in your face so to speak. Filing a false report against someone can open a large door for litigation to be taken against you.. The reason I mention this is because I unfortunatly had to go through the same thing with my own mother. Not to get into the whole story, but her intentions were made solely out of anger and after about the 3rd CPS call I had no choice but to take her to court for the false reports. Not being heartless I did not sue her for any money but I just did it to make a point. "I am a good father." and I would not stand for the false reports any longer. But if what you say is true, I would call CPS immediatly and file a report. Far to many times I see situiations like this and nothing is ever done about it. Like yourself I beleive the children should not be in a situiation like the one you mentioned. They just may very well be better off in your custody untill there true parents can prove the responsibility it takes to raising a child in todays society.

Hope this helps,

James

Please take notice.. I am not an attorney nor do I practice law in any way. I am only stating personal experiences and how they had worked for me.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back