Grandfather deceased still owing car payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glendora

My grandfather bought me a car and the car is in his name only. He made all the payments and there is still payments owed on the car. The car dealership wants me to return the car to them plus continue to make the rest of the car payments. Is this legal? and is my grandmother liable for this debt?

Originally posted by Glendora
My grandfather bought me a car and the car is in his name only. He made all the payments and there is still payments owed on the car. The car dealership wants me to return the car to them plus continue to make the rest of the car payments. Is this legal? and is my grandmother liable for this debt?
If he bought the car and it is repossessed, it is likely not your responsibility. With regard to your grandmother, it is the same. If it is only in your grandfather's name then only he is likely liable but note that if he passess away, this amount could come out of his estate PLUS the dealership will likely charge expenses to obtain the car and payment and that can be large. You might as well talk to them to find out what the situation is but you should have no liability... this is all dependent upon what is written in the contract between your grandfather and the dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back