Weapons, Guns, Firearms Grand Jury???

Status
Not open for further replies.

armymom100412

Our 22 yr old son was involved in an altercation turned deadly on 10-4-12 and he was gunned down in his neighbor's yard. The shooter was released after a few hours with no charges filed. We were told it could be presented to the Grand Jury...how long before they possibly do this and do we get a chance to be there to speak? Our son and his friends were unarmed but we have been told that he said he "feared for his life" and that is that. I am very much a believeer and supporter of our constitution but I live in another state and don't understand how someone can just gun someone down (2 people actually) and not have to answer to anybody.

Our 22 yr old son was involved in an altercation turned deadly on 10-4-12 and he was gunned down in his neighbor's yard. The shooter was released after a few hours with no charges filed. We were told it could be presented to the Grand Jury...how long before they possibly do this and do we get a chance to be there to speak? Our son and his friends were unarmed but we have been told that he said he "feared for his life" and that is that. I am very much a believeer and supporter of our constitution but I live in another state and don't understand how someone can just gun someone down (2 people actually) and not have to answer to anybody.

First of all, my condolences on the loss of your loved one.

I suggest you speak with the district attorney in the county where this occurred.

You should also speak with the detective investigating the case.

Normally, they are very forthcoming with the families of victims in cases like this.

Grand Jury proceedings in Texas are held in secret.

You are only allowed to speak IF you have knowledge relative to the case being pursued.

You don't have such knowledge.

Please reach out to the district attorney and the investigating law enforcement agency.

By the way, depending on the county, the intervening holidays, the complexity of the case, it hasn't bene too long.

I have seen these cases take one or two years before an indictment is issued.

I suspect the delay is caused by getting witnesses to testify to what went down.

If the stories aren't forthcoming or believable, there is nothing a district attorney can do.

Thank you. Patience is not easy but I will pray that our legal system will not let us down. The shooter is a 33 year old prison guard who should know how to handle himself in any situation. And you are right, one of the victims is fresh out of the hospital and hasn't even been fit to be questioned yet so I imagine we could be in for a long wait.

Thank you. Patience is not easy but I will pray that our legal system will not let us down. The shooter is a 33 year old prison guard who should know how to handle himself in any situation. And you are right, one of the victims is fresh out of the hospital and hasn't even been fit to be questioned yet so I imagine we could be in for a long wait.

Without revealing names, I respect the memory of the victims.

We also don't want to accuse those who have not been convicted.

In what county did the shooting occur?

Besides your son, were there any other victims?

Can you tell us, being as protective of names as possible, what is believed to have went down?

Thank you.

Good morning, there was another victim-my son's roommate was shot 3 times and spent about a month in the hospital. He is still expected to need at least 3 more surgeries and he will most likely lose his career in the US Army (he cannot pass his PT exams, as well as his psychological issues). There was also a 3rd friend with my son and roommate who was not injured-he tried to save my son's life. I have little information because these 2 young men haven't been able to talk about it and my husband is nowhere near ready to hear the details-I wish I knew everything!! It was in Bell County I believe (I have actually had to rely on the internet for information as we are still trying to obtain police report). From what I know, my son and his friends were having a few beers and it must have gotten loud because there was a noise complaint from the neighbor. This somehow escalated into a verbal altercation (some news stories say there was a physical altercation as well) that then turned into the neighbor going into his house to get his weapon, coming back outside, and firing. My son and his friends were not armed with any type of weapons (except their 22 yr old egos I presume).

Good morning, there was another victim-my son's roommate was shot 3 times and spent about a month in the hospital. He is still expected to need at least 3 more surgeries and he will most likely lose his career in the US Army (he cannot pass his PT exams, as well as his psychological issues). There was also a 3rd friend with my son and roommate who was not injured-he tried to save my son's life. I have little information because these 2 young men haven't been able to talk about it and my husband is nowhere near ready to hear the details-I wish I knew everything!! It was in Bell County I believe (I have actually had to rely on the internet for information as we are still trying to obtain police report). From what I know, my son and his friends were having a few beers and it must have gotten loud because there was a noise complaint from the neighbor. This somehow escalated into a verbal altercation (some news stories say there was a physical altercation as well) that then turned into the neighbor going into his house to get his weapon, coming back outside, and firing. My son and his friends were not armed with any type of weapons (except their 22 yr old egos I presume).

Okay, I know the story. I know the DA in that county. His name is Henry Garza. I know him, and he's a very competent DA. He operates in the best interests of the public.

Bell County (as do all Texas counties) provides a victim's assistance office.
Here are those details.
It is a good idea to reach out to those people.

http://www.bellcountytx.com/county_government/district_attorney/docs/victims_rights_book.pdf

As a victim, or the parent of a victim, you have rights under Texas law.

-----------------------------------------

Texas CrimeVictim Rights
(a) AVictim, guardian of a victim, or close relative of a
deceased victim is entitled to the following rights within the
criminal justice system:
t. The right to receive from law enforcement agencies
adequate protection from harm and threats of
harm arising from cooperation with prosecution
efforts;
The right to have the magistrate take the safety of
the victim or his family into consideration as an element
in fixing the amount of bail for the accused;
The righC if requested, to be informed:
(A) by the attorney representing rhe state of
relevant court proceedings and to be informed if
those proceedings have been canceled or rescheduled
prior to the event;and
(B) by an appellate court of decisions of the court,
after the decisions are entered by before the decisions
are made public;
The right to be informed, when requested, by a
peace officer concerning the defendant's right to
bail and the procedures in criminal investigations
and by the district attorney's office concerning the
general procedures in the criminal justice system,
including general procedures in guilty plea negotiations
and arrangements, restitution, and the appeals
and parole process;
The right to provide pertinent information to a
probation department conducting a presentencing
investigation concerning the impact of the offense
of the victim and his family, by testimony, written
statement, or any other manner prior to any sentencing
of the offender;
The right to receive information regarding compensation
to victims of crime by Subchapter B,
Chapter 56, including information related to the
costs that may be compensated under that subchapter
and the amount of compensation, eligibility
for compensation, and procedures for application
for compensation under that subchapter, the
payment for a medical examination underArticle
56.06 for a victim of a sexual assaulg and when
requested, to referral to available social services
that may offer additional assistance.

7. The right to be informed, upon request, of parole procedures, to participate in the
parole process, to be notified, if requested, of parole proceedings concerning a
defendant in the victim's case, to provide to the Board of Pardons and Paroles for
inclusion in the defendant's file information to be considered by the board prior to
the parole of any defendant convicted of any crime subject to this subchapter, and
to be notified, if requested, of the defendants release;
8. The right to be provided with a waiting area, separate or secure from other witnesses,
including the offender and relatives of the offender, before testifiing in any
proceeding concerning the offender; if a separate waiting area is not available, other
safeguards should be taken to minimize the victim's contact with the offender and
the offender's relatives and witnesses, before and during court proceedinp;
9. The right to prompt return of any properq/ of the victim that is held by a law enforcement
4tency or the attorney for the state as evidence when the property is no
longer required for that purpose;
10. The right to have the attorney for the state notify the employer of the victim, if
requested, of the necessity of the victim's cooperation and testimony in a proceeding
that may necessitate the absence of the victim from work for good cause;
I l. The right to counselint, on requesq regarding acquired immune deficiency syndrome
(AIDS) and human immunodeficiency virus (HlV) and testing for AIDS, HIV
infection, antibodies to HlV, or infection with any other probably causative agent of
AIDS, if the offense is an offense under Section 2l. | | (a) (l), or 22.021, Penal Code;
12. The right to request victim-offender mediation coordinated by the victim seryices
division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, and
13. The right to be informed of the uses of a victim impact statement and the statement's
puryose in the criminal justice system, to complete the victim impact statement"
and to have the victim impact statement considered:
(A) by the attorney representing the state and the judge before sentencing or
before a plea bargain agreement is accepted; and
(B) by the Board of Pardons and Paroles before an inmate is released on
parole.
(b) A victim, guardian of a victim, or close relative of a deceased victim is entided to the
right to be present at all public couft proceedings related to the offense, subjea to the approval
of the judge in the case.
(.) The office of the attorney representing the state, and the sheriff, police or other law
enforcement 4gencies shall ensure to the extent practicable that a victim, guardian of a victim, or
close relative of a deceased victim is afforded the righs granted by Subsection (a) of this afticle
and, on requesq an explanation of those righa.
(d) A judge, attorney for the sate, peace officer, or law enforcement agency is not
liable for failure or inability to provide a right enumerated in this article. The failure or inability of
any person to provide a right or senrice enumerated in this article may not be used by a defendant
in a criminal case as a ground for appeal, a ground to set aside the conviction or sentence, or
a ground in a habeas corpus petition. A victjm, guardian of a victim, or close relative of a deceased
victim does not have standing to participate as a part in a criminal proceeding or to contest the
disposition of any charge.

-----------------------------------------

His office details and contact numbers are posted below.
I also gave you a link to his online information.
I thought something was odd about that case, and it could be that the "shooter" was employed as a corrections officer. That said, I have rarely seen a reluctance to prosecute a good case.

Stay in touch with the Army and the casualty assistance officer assigned for your son. The Army can provide great support.

District Attorney, 27th Judicial District, Bell County - Henry Garza

Bell County Justice Center

1201 Huey Road, Suite 2100
Belton, Texas 76513

Phone: (254) 933-5215 or (800) 460-2355 ext. 5215
Fax: (254) 933-5238

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 540
Belton, Texas 76513

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back