Grand Jury Indictment

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumbxtc

I have kind of weird question. A co-worker of mine was charged with unemployment fraud, and something else..i dont really remember, in October of 09. I do know that they were felonys though. He was collecting unemployment, while he was working. He was arrested, spent the night in jail, and his court date was today.

He says when he got back to the office that it was dismissed because the grand jury didnt return an indictment, and they only had 6 months to do so, so hes in the free and clear.

I'm just wondering if this was true. He has a habit of not showing up to court, and then taking care of things on his terms, and wondering if this is the case here, and maybe reason with him.

Any other background information you may need, i can try to provide.

I have kind of weird question. A co-worker of mine was charged with unemployment fraud, and something else..i dont really remember, in October of 09. I do know that they were felonys though. He was collecting unemployment, while he was working. He was arrested, spent the night in jail, and his court date was today.

He says when he got back to the office that it was dismissed because the grand jury didnt return an indictment, and they only had 6 months to do so, so hes in the free and clear.

I'm just wondering if this was true. He has a habit of not showing up to court, and then taking care of things on his terms, and wondering if this is the case here, and maybe reason with him.

Any other background information you may need, i can try to provide.

People are often arrested in anticipation of a grand jury indictment, especially in the state system.
Subsequent to the arrest, the grand jury meets.
They sometimes "no bill" the charge.
This means the grand jury doesn't believe there is enough evidence to convict him.
If his charges have been "no billed", thus eliminating the charges.
Your friend may be telling the truth.

If you know the county of his arrest, you can check the court's website for information.
If you live in a small area, the news is often published in the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back