got wedding license AFTER the ceremony...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrakeet

My husband is not a happy fellow. He is a an ordained minister, and traveled several hundred miles to Tennessee especially to perform a wedding for friends of ours flying in from England. (UK citizens).

He married them and returned home the next day. Now we discover the newlyweds did not actually go get their Tennessee license until AFTER their ceremony! They then returned to England the following day, dated all the paperwork as if the ceremony had been performed a week later than it actually had, mailed it to him for his signature and sent it back to Tennessee that way.

They may have a certificate stating they were married "such and such' date but I feel that if he actually performed their wedding before they had a valid license, it does not matter what the paperwork says, it's not legal, and they are not actually married.

Needless to say, this is one big strain on a friendship. Not to mention my husband feeling this is tatamount to having him falsify an important paper.

On one hand, no one knows but the principals involved. On the other hand, should push ever come to shove for the couple, their passports will show they were not even still in America on the date they (supposedly) married......

My Thanks to anyone answering this can of worms....and hand me the aspirin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back