got in a wreck, and didnt call the cops or insurance co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Cutty

I got in a wreck because of my neighbor about 3 weeks ago. My neighbor reversed his car into mine and I didnt call anyone because it seemed like he wasgoing to get it fixed. (Bad idea, I know) He got most of the parts from a junk yard, and we took it to a aquaintance of his that does body and paint work. It's been about three weeks, and he still hasent gotten it fixed. I talked to his aquaintance doing the body work (we'll just call him The Bodyman), and he's was getting ticked off because the car's been in his shop for 3 weeks and it's just taking up space. The neighbor hasnt paid The Bodyman to do the work yet, and The Bodyman told me that I should just find out what it would cost to get fixed at an actual body shop to give me an estimit, and to just take the neighbor to small claims court. I was wondering, what are the chances of me winning, and should I get a lawyer, or do I even need one?

Also, the title of the car is in my old roommates name, but the insurance is in my name. (It's been like that for about 4 years) Does it matter that the car isnt in my name?

What a mess. You may have a case to sue for your bills since you are using the car. What you might want to do is send a letter to this friend of yours (preferably via a certified mail method) and copy the mechanic. I'd say that if he doesn't pay as he agreed to do (and briefly describe the story and how you got to this mechanic), you'll have to pay out of pocket and sue him for this and for additional interest and damages. Good luck.

If you do go to small claims, the fact that you ended up at a body shop by the arrangement of your neighbor will show that he accepted responsibility and promised to pay. I don't think you would have a hard time getting a judgment, but collecting the judgment is the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back