Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Got caught shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohawken18

Here are the details:

I got caught shoplifting at K****, the police were called but I was not "arrested." (Didn't go to jail)

They said I'd receive an invitation to appear in court later, and somewhere down the line I'd have to pay something like $350.

When they questioned me, I admitted to stealing the things. I cooperated with them.

I'm not a minor and, in college, and this was my first offense. I've never been convicted for a crime before. I can't afford a lawyer, and am going to call the public defenders office in the morning. Is it important to have a lawyer present in court with you? I also heard its important for parents to be with their child in court. (Or is this only for minors?)

What are my options? What should be my next steps? Should I tell my parents? What can I do? I know what i did was really wrong, and did it under peer pressure.

Last edited:
Also should I pay the fine they send if when I receive it? Or is this an admission of guilt? Should I admit to being guilty? I am in the state of Indiana if that helps.

Last edited:
First off, you should not have admitted to stealing anything. You need a lawyer. If you can't afford one, you can ask the court for a public defender to be appointed for you. Talk only to the lawyer or PD. They will go over your options with you & answer any questions you might have. Plead not guilty when you go to court. If you are not a minor, your parents do not have to be in court with you. It is up to you whether to tell your parents or not - they might find out anyway though. Maybe they can afford to pay for a lawyer for you. You might ask the lawyer/PD after ACD or diversion.

Some people say pay the civil demand & other suggest not. It is your decision but if you don't pay, it is possible there will be consequences.

Don't steal again.

Last edited:
I called the county clerks office today to see if there was a summons with my name, and they said they didn't have any record? What does this mean?

I called the county clerks office today to see if there was a summons with my name, and they said they didn't have any record? What does this mean?

It could mean, and I'm only GUESSING, that you're going to be offered a chance at some type of diversionary program for first time offenders.
If you are offered such a program, before you accept it, see a licensed defense attorney in your county.
Agreeing to anything of this moment without consulting a real attorney, licensed in Indiana could prove extremely harmful later.

Just wait & see if you receive an "invitation" to appear in court. You do need to talk to a lawyer.

Just wait & see if you receive an "invitation" to appear in court. You do need to talk to a lawyer.

Okay I've scheduled a lawyer consultation, should my parent be with me at this meeting? Should they also come to court with me? I assume meeting a lawyer for the first time is about impression. So dressing the same like you would for court. Yes?

Last edited:
Okay I've scheduled a lawyer consultation, should my parent be with me at this meeting? Should they also come to court with me? I assume meeting a lawyer for the first time is about impression. So dressing the same like you would for court. Yes?

Are you 18 years or older?
If so, you won't need your parent(s) to accompany you.
That said, some younger people (teenagers) do choose to have mother, father (or both) accompany them.
In my view, appearance (especially hygiene and neatness) always count.
It never hurts to dress well.

I am 18 years and older. I know they don't have a legal obligation to come with me, but is it a good idea to ask them to come anyway? I haven't told them yet, and I think telling them is the right thing to do. Also I have no way of affording a lawyer without them. I don't have a job,

Last edited:
I am 18 years and older. I know they don't have a legal obligation to come with me, but is it a good idea to ask them to come anyway? I haven't told them yet, and I think telling them is the right thing to do. Also I have no way of affording a lawyer without them. I don't have a job,

Yes, keeping your parents informed at any age is always a good idea.
I'm sure you and your parents can work through this.
You made a mistake, and I sense your sincerity in setting it right.
I wish you all the best as you start rebuilding their trust and righting your life's ship.

Yes, keeping your parents informed at any age is always a good idea.
I'm sure you and your parents can work through this.
You made a mistake, and I sense your sincerity in setting it right.
I wish you all the best as you start rebuilding their trust and righting your life's ship.

Thank you. I appreciate it.
UPDATE: So today I saw a criminal defense lawyer and he said i've got a couple options. I can plead guilty, which likely would not end well for me, or I can do the pretrial diversion program (available in my county).

Now I have a couple questions about pretrial diversion: of which my lawyer would not be able to answer. First is do you need a lawyer to be able to do this? I found the pre-trial application website and a form. It seems like I wouldn't need to hire him just to fill these kinds of things out for me. If I do take this route, I would not need to show up in court either. So what would the lawyer be doing for me if I did hire him? Would he just be relaying info between the court and me and vice versa? Not sure if that's worth the big $$$.

Second is I have not been able to find out whether charges have been filed at the prosecutor's office yet. How long does this usually take? I've search country court cases and after 3 days since the incident nothing has showed up. At my consultation my lawyer said that a possible scenario is that the police may have never turned in the report.
However during the apprehension they "informed" me that I would be receiving a court summons. But did not make me sign anything saying I would show up at a later date.

Third is that my lawyer told me if I did pre-trial diversion and the charges were dropped my record would still show "arrest & dismissal" however I was NOT arrested and let go. What will be on my record if I take the pre-trial diversion route?

1. It is NEVER advisable to take on ANY legal action without an Attorney.

2. It can take several weeks to get court date keep checking.

3. It will show dismissal or some other wording that does not include conviction. If applying for job you may still put NO when asked about criminal convictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back