Good humanitarian loan collection

smislam

My finance lives in New York and was involved with a Man from California, in about Year 2011/2012. They never met personally but created a reasonable Long-distance friendship for a future hope to be together. She had saved few bucks for her children's college funds and offered a portion of it on good gesture to this man , so that the man can pay off few of his debts. The man was married with children and still is.
Money was transferred by using WESTERN UNION for about $10, 000 but she does not have any receipts and doesn't have any written communication on it. She was made to believe that keeping receipts may make her wife to find out and they will be facing challenges. They were deeply involved over the PHONE and all communications were orally performed, because she has Free long-distance calling plan.
It was revealed by her that the man was only interested in her money and played well to get some of it from her, by offering an oral commitment to pay her back.

The relationship is now over, just because she found out the real truth.
Is there any ways to get this $10k back from him? She tried to convince him but he starts calling her names, which she is not used to.

Please and thank you.

She had saved few bucks for her children's college funds and offered a portion of it on good gesture to this man , so that the man can pay off few of his debts. The man was married with children and still is.

Oh, so she was stupid.

Money was transferred by using WESTERN UNION for about $10, 000

Really stupid.

she does not have any receipts and doesn't have any written communication on it. She was made to believe that keeping receipts may make her wife to find out and they will be facing challenges. They were deeply involved over the PHONE and all communications were orally performed, because she has Free long-distance calling plan.

REALLY, REALLY STUPID!!!!

Is there any ways to get this $10k back from him?

From a legal standpoint, she can sue him but she will have to sue in California and likely have to incur travel costs that she won't get back, or attorney fees that she won't get back. If she is successful in getting a judgment then there's the issue of collecting on it and that might be problematic.

From a practical standpoint, she can kiss the money goodbye and get on with her life.

California's statute of limitations is four years for all debts except for ORAL contracts.

In the matter of ORAL contracts, the statute of limitations in California is two years.

What this means for the lender, OP, is that even if the "loan" was sent on 31 December 2011; California's Statute of Limitations on ORALLY contracted debt eliminated her right to sue on 31 December 2013.

Beyond what you were told, the unfortunate woman has no LEGAL remedy available to her to retrieve the college fund for her children.

Folks,
You are very kind and I appreciate your kind words.
Yes, She is unfortunate, as many of us are but I can see the compassionate replies from you folks and very happy to see that good people are still around.
Thank you so much.

Folks,
You are very kind and I appreciate your kind words.
Yes, She is unfortunate, as many of us are but I can see the compassionate replies from you folks and very happy to see that good people are still around.
Thank you so much.

Thank you for your kind sentiments.
No matter what problems you and she may have had in the past, today you have each other and are in love.

I wish you both more happiness, love, and togetherness.
After all, you're alive, in love, and have another chance at greater happiness.
You're most welcome.

Back