Going to District Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny_west

Court is set for Aug. 16, dont know if its the best idea but we are representing ourselves. The civil case was won hands down, guess I just need a pat on the back and your best wishes. Any form of advice as far as courtroom demeanor and proper appearance would be appreciated. I definently want to show the Judge and jury proper respect. Help.......
Ginny

Conservative clothing (not necessarily church-going gear; more like funeral-attending attire). Keep quiet unless the judge asks you a question; don't interrupt and address the judge with respect (i.e., "your honor", "yes sir". ) Don't interrupt when the other party is talking, even if what they provide is a bold faced lie. Don't argue with them.

One party (or the other) will often dig their own graves in court with their tongue.

Gail

Wish me luck

Thanks Gail, will take all info under serious advisement. Have a couple of funeral outfits, and will keep my mouth shut. Was raised with manners being one of the most important rules in our house. Feel like this will turn out like the last court appearance. Im still not afraid, perhaps nervous but our evidence is undeniable. Should I be more concerned?
Thanks,
Ginny

Have you considered sitting in on this court prior to the date of your hearing? Sometimes sitting through a few cases gives you a good idea of how a particular court is run. Most hearings are not closed sessions and anyone can sit in that court.

Gail

Getting smarter

Thanks Gail, am going to call the clerk now. We are in a relatively small town so it is easier than in a city. Will surely keep you updated on how its going. Will be anxious to see how the judge acts with first the attorneys and maybe we can get idea of if he is going to eat us for lunch:D
Thanks again,
Ginny

Thanks Gail, will take all info under serious advisement. Have a couple of funeral outfits, and will keep my mouth shut. Was raised with manners being one of the most important rules in our house. Feel like this will turn out like the last court appearance. Im still not afraid, perhaps nervous but our evidence is undeniable. Should I be more concerned?
Thanks,
Ginny

Another thing, do not raise hands during the other party speaking. Be careful not to wear to much make-up. Keep appearance subtle. Keep eyes on the judge, keep hands at side or on the table folded. Do not fold arms or place on hips. Do not make faces when party lies. Have your paperwork in order, try not to shuffle looking for a particular piece. Lay things in abc order, easier to find. Good luck

Check out the court's website.
It should provide you with the court's rules of etiquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info

Ct. thanks for all this information, these are things that I might have thought of later. I have a face that shows all my emotion. Just my eyes tell my story of what im thinking. What do I do about that?, close my eyes.
Ginny

ginny west said:
Ct. thanks for all this information, these are things that I might have thought of later. I have a face that shows all my emotion. Just my eyes tell my story of what im thinking. What do I do about that?, close my eyes.
Ginny

Just wear your best poker face. The key is to be pleasant, so a smile is okay. If someone says something funny, even a little laughter is okay. Otherwise, a pleasant smile is all you need. Show no displeasure or disapproval in regard to another person's comment. You'll have your time to respond.

The other thing is to know when to object and how. Google legal objections. Most courts do not permit speaking objections, just an objection. You always rise when addressing the court, the jury, or opposing counsel. You rise and say, "Objection, your honor, relevance.". Or, "Objection, your honor, hearsay."

You'll use maybe six or so standard objections: hearsay, relevance, asked & answered, unresponsive, calls for an opinion, misstates facts not into evidence, does counsel have a question, leading, and badgering.

Research them. They'll come in handy and know when to object. You're at a disadvantage if you don't know how and when to make objections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back