Going straight from left turn only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewhittaker

I am going to court in Yolo County, CA on a not guilty plea for going straight through an intersection after I had already stopped in the left turn lane. The turn arrow was red, and the straight light was green. I looked before I went straight and made the maneuver safely (I didnt cut anyone off or anything). I honestly do not remember if I used my turn signal. The dividing line of the turn lane was solid white.

So... I know I should not have crossed the solid white line. I honestly did not know that I could get a ticket for this, especially since it was done in a "safe" manner. This was my first offense of this nature, and I feel like a warning would have been more appropriate. This occurred on halloween night, so I'm pretty sure the cop was just looking for drunk drivers or trying to fill some quota. he didnt even explain to me what I did wrong without me asking. So I broke a law (albeit a not well known one) and got a hastily written ticket.

Do you think I have any grounds to defend myself? I was planning on stating that this was my first time offense for this action, I have a good driving record (only 1 ticket in the past 3 years), and something about the cop not explaining my offense. Is this a joke or do I have any chance of getting out of the ridiculous fine?

Since you agree that you broke the law, then what, exactly, is your defense?

Ignorance of the law is not a defense. So now you probably have no defense to fight it. You got the ticket because you committed a traffic offense and you could have caused an accident.

And most jurisdictions do not have quotas.

What section were you cited for? I suspect the only real good argument you might have will be if the officer cited you with an inappropriate section. There are two that will slam the door shut upon you, any others might give you a chance.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back