GoDaddy illegally seizes domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

exponent

So I acquired a domain name of considerable value (LLL .com where L represents a letter). Anyhow, the previous owner had the domain parked for its entire life, it has never been developed in almost 14 years. This said previous owner let the domain expire and the domains for the administrative and technical contact email addresses.

Subsequently, after the domain expired, I was able to register it, and later transfered it from NSI to GoDaddy to take advantage of lower prices and private registration. Doing some simple whois'ing I found a cadre of domains owned by the same person, all expired or expiring, so I registered a couple of them.

Two weeks go by and then the person files a domain dispute that the domains were "taken". According to ICANN, when a domain expires, and the person receives the second warning of expiration, its nullified and can be dropped afterwards. I registered the domain in my name, with my credit card, in my account, and now GoDaddy sided with someone that has absolutely no right or claim to the domain, has no proof of ownership, and no copyright. Meanwhile, I have a pending copyright and incorporation filing for the domain.

GoDaddy never contacted me, they simply seized the domain. After two weeks of dealing with tech support and being bounced around from department to department without any particular department knowing what to do to prove ownership, I was finally able to find out someone filed a domain complaint (the original owner). I immediately faxed proof of ownership for the domain along with a full account of my acquisition of the domain. After GoDaddy failed to contact me, I faxed and emailed a Cease and Desist letter regarding the domain. The SAME DAY, I receive a notification at 3:25AM eastern time that the domain had been handed over to the complaining party without a court order or anything, and that I could file for arbitration ($1000 through WIPO) or receive a court order for return of the domain. The fact that GoDaddy (based in Arizona) send the email after business hours is bad business at best. The fact that they did this after receiving a court order is even worse.

Needless to say, this previous owner only filed one dispute, for the most valuable domain while I still hold others. In light of this, I've filed suit against GoDaddy in civil court for return of the domain. Is there anything else I can do?

In light of this, I've filed suit against GoDaddy in civil court for return of the domain.

Sounds like a good start.

I almost forgot, I also filed a formal complaint with ICANN (they decide who can become a domain registrar) because GoDaddy violated several ICANN policies as well as several of its own.

The funny thing is, I have an email from NSI (Network Solutions) after the seizure by GoDaddy, asking me to renew my service agreement on the remainder of my domains there, which included the domain that has been disputed. Basically, GoDaddy ignored every bit of evidence I provided. I cant believe it, normally they have been great.

this is neither here nor there. It is just info about sites like GoDaddy.com. Some of these sites take your sites when you register them etc. just so that you have to buy the domain name and service from GoDaddy.com. It is a gimick. If I want to see if a domain name is available I never check through GoDaddy.com This is just basic info I have learned through trying to start my own websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back