giving up parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

cville1

I live in the state of Tennessee. I have not seen my two boys in over a year, but I do pay child support. I have been considering giving up my parental rights. Do I need her approval if I wanted to go through with the process. Also, will I be responsible for child support.

Yes, you have to have her approvel, she has to agree to you signing your rights over, I dont know what the law is there, but normally in order for a man to sign his rights over the women has to have a man that is willing to adopted the child.

The above poster is correct. You just cannot give up your parental rights because you feel like it. Why are you wanting to do this? If you do not see your kids by choice, or the ex is violating a visitation order, you need to enforce your fatherly rights.

Giving up rights is not an easy process. There usaually must be a step parent willing to adopt. It can be very hard and confusing to the kids knowing their dad no longer wants them (that is esentially what you are telling them). Your ex must agree to it as well and you both will have to go through an attorney. Child support usually stops once this is done, but you will still owe any arrearages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back