Given 90 days to move and then served papers to appear in court for not being gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

danewheeler

Hello all,
Me and my fiancee were renting this house. The house got foreclosed upon at the beginning of last month. the mortgage company sold it to another buyer and sent foreclosure papers addressed to us as the residents. In this piece of mail we fell under section 02 or section 03 (I forget). Basically section 01 was saying that if we were the home owner then we had something like 3 days to vacate the premises. However, under the section we fell under if we were renting and our lease had expired but we had a clause to pay month by month then we had 90 days to vacate. We immediately sent a copy of the lease as well as bank statements showing our payments up to date. After this they never contacted us back until today. However, they might have sent mail under the name of the home owner (the lady on the mortgage). We keep her mail in a stack because we are not allowed to open it by Federal law. The home owner is now a junkie and she never comes around except about a month and a half ago after not seeing her for a year.
Today we get served papers to appear in court because we did not vacate after 3 days even though we provided all the evidence that we fell under the 90 day vacate section. It was delivered by a Constable so it is not some scare tactic. Basically the story I got so far is that the Mortgage Company sent the paperwork we submitted to them (containing our lease info as well as the payments of the rent) to the new owner (the guy who purchased it last month) of the house. Since the new owner never contacted them back giving his approval we were in violation of not vacating the premises. I don't know if it is correct but to me it should not matter if he agrees with the law it is still the law. I already contacted the Mortgage companies attorney and they are checking with the mortgage company to see what is going on. Their own attorney said we are right to live here and we didn't break the law.
What can I do about this, what are the laws, and what should I be cautious on.
Thank you for the help.

You are not required to vacate the residence until a judge orders you to do so.
It sounds like you have an easy defense for the pending matter, however the clock is ticking in on your 90 days. Even after 90 days, if the owner/landlord has not begun eviction proceedings you would still have more time until they obtained a judge's order.
You either need to move or sign a new lease with the new owner.
If you fail to show up to court you may be evicted.

We plan on showing up to court unless they drop it and provide us paperwork proving that they dropped it. Other than that we already have a new place that we have payed first month and deposit on. We plan on being fully moved out by the end of next week. As such we have no desire to finish our 90 days. Let me tell you it is just not something we desire to deal with.

If you fail to appear in court, they'll get a default judgment against you.
It'll show you were evicted.
That can hurt your credit, and hamper your ability to rent for many years in the future.
You should show up, present your defense, and get this case kicked.
Otherwise, you'll be hurt worse than you could ever imagine.

Good point.... but if the residence is already vacated it is unlikely the other party would still go to court. Best to coordinate with them and ensure the matter is dismissed, but if you are leaving anyway nobody needs to go to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back