Girl Friend is setting up shop.

Mark Leblanc

Jurisdiction
Utah
My new girlfriend has been leaving a lot of personal items at my house, wants to bring over some of her furniture, even has left a container of dog food for her dogs. She stays over part time as she has her own house she's living in. Is there any legal issues that can happen down the road?

My new girlfriend has been leaving a lot of personal items at my house, wants to bring over some of her furniture, even has left a container of dog food for her dogs. She stays over part time as she has her own house she's living in. Is there any legal issues that can happen down the road?
Do you rent? Do you want her to move in with you? Do you want to store her stuff at your home? Why is she bringing all this stuff to your home?

You have no way of ascertaining IF the goods are hers, or IF they're stolen.

All you have is her word.

If you can't say, sorry, I am not a storage unit, try this.

However, I must help you.

So, I'm going to GIVE you $300 so that YOU can rent a storage unit and I'll help you move YOUR stuff to the storage unit you're going to rent with the money I GIFTED you.

My home isn't a storage unit or flop house.
Never permit anyone to whom you aren't married to flop, crash, or even stay one night in your home.

Why?

Common sense should reveal you're opening yourself up to ISSUES down the road.

Is there any legal issues that can happen down the road?

1. If you rent, this could be in violation of your lease.
2. If you own, she may be on the way to becoming a tenant.

Your misgivings about your lady love have NOTHING TO DO WITH "ADVERSE POSSESSION".

The fact that your social skills are so lacking that you cannot express that you have boundaries, and that she is crossing them... well, that's a red flag. You should break up with this woman - she wants something in your relationship that you cannot give.

I mean...it's not like you can expect Redemptionman to actually research the applicable law or anything...

Utah doesn't have any common law which takes an actual court determination. Okay cool, some states have common law agreements some don't. Still a court determination especially if the domestic partner is helping pay bills and rent.

Utah doesn't have any common law which takes an actual court determination. Okay cool, some states have common law agreements some don't. Still a court determination especially if the domestic partner is helping pay bills and rent.

Before giving advice, please refer to the applicable state law.

The OP said nothing about he and his girlfriend being common law. Common Law marriage has nothing to do with his question.

The OP said nothing about he and his girlfriend being common law. Common Law marriage has nothing to do with his question.

Not that redemption is right about this (or anything else) but the OP's question.

"Is there any legal issues that can happen down the road?"

Would bring common law marriage in as a possible legal issue.

pretty sure you are not common law in most states till 7 years or so, probably are good.

Beyond the poor grammar, this is wrong.

While Utah is one of the small minority of states that still allows for the formation of common law marriages, there is no time frame on it in any state. The requirements under Utah law are set forth in section 30-1-4.5 of the Utah Code, and you'll see that it includes no time component.

Please don't spread misinformation like this.

Common Law marriage has nothing to do with his question.

I disagree. The OP's question asked if "there [are] any legal issues that can happen down the road." The question could hardly be more broad, and common law marriage certainly is a legal issue.

Beyond the poor grammar, this is wrong.

While Utah is one of the small minority of states that still allows for the formation of common law marriages, there is no time frame on it in any state. The requirements under Utah law are set forth in section 30-1-4.5 of the Utah Code, and you'll see that it includes no time component.

Please don't spread misinformation like this.

Since when does random strangers posting on an internet forum make using proper grammar a necessity? and the OP stated that they are worried about their move in girlfriend setting up shop would qualify for some sort of split assets. It depends and the longer it lasts the more complicated it becomes when one of you all decide to end the relationship.

Since when does random strangers posting on an internet forum make using proper grammar a necessity?

It doesn't, and I didn't say it did.

the OP stated that they are worried about their move in girlfriend setting up shop would qualify for some sort of split assets.

No. He/she did not "state[] that." The OP asked if "there [are] any legal issues that can happen down the road." While common law marriage is, indeed, a legal issue (as I noted previously), it is not one that is relevant to the OP's situation, and your statement that "you are not common law [sic] in most states till 7 years or so" was wrong. Your statement implied that there is a time component to the formation of a common law marriage. It also plays into inexplicably common misconception that a common law marriage can be formed unintentionally -- solely by cohabitating for some length of time.

It depends and the longer it lasts the more complicated it becomes when one of you all decide to end the relationship.

I'm not sure what the first two sentences of this sentence are supposed to mean (or what the antecedent of "it" is), but I agree that things can become complicated when two unmarried people live together a long time (unless they're very clear who owns what and don't buy stuff jointly).

Back