Gift Deed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iguana210a

My father passed away without a will. I have 4 siblings. Our mother died 18 years ago. I want to give my share of my fathers home to my youngest brother. Can I prepare a gift deed myself and what are the legal requirements for doing so? Do I have to legally notify the other siblings or is this just between him and I? I can't afford to pay an attorney. We all live in Texas.

I'm not an attorney and I know Texas law is a little different than some states. However,
(1)a person can generally do a quit claim deed of interest in a property to another person without an attorney.
(2) Whether you call it a gift or exchange a minimal sum may have other financial and tax implications for you and your sibling.
(3) You may need a legal meets and bounds description of the property and the document signed in front of a notary.
(4) There usually are quit claim deed forms available that are easy to fill in with necessary information. Check online, the county courthouse, printing business and office supply stores for the forms.
(5) What you do with your interest in the property is your business and it probably is not required to inform other siblings of the transaction. That said, in the interest of family harmony and consideration, it would be advisable for all 4 siblings to discuss intentions, inclinations and repercussions if such a transaction occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back