Getty Images issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

njcj2631

In Late July 2010, I received a letter from Getty images stating that I was using an image represented exclusively by Getty Images on my website. I contacted my web-designer and asked them if they knew anything about this. I also asked them to replace the photo. The web designer told me that it was a stock photo and that they would change it. They also told me that Getty images sends out thousands of these letters everyday hoping that people just pay up. They advised me to ignore it, "Getty is trying to bully you into paying". Getty wants $1300.00 for one 2inch x 2inch photo.

I ignored it. About a week ago, I received a letter from NCS Recovery Corp stating that they have been retained my Getty images because I have failed to pay the settlement demand. I am not sure what to do. This seems a little shady. The form from NCS has a place on the bottom for me to fill out my credit card information and send in the payment. The letter came in the regular mail, if this was a real effort to collect would it have arrived certified mail?

When I read articles on the internet about Getty, the reaction from people is that it is a scam and they are trying to bully people into paying. I thought that a cease and desist letter was the first step by companies and then they could follow up with a bill if the C/D was ignored?

Any help would be appreciated

Do I need a lawyer.

Throw it away and ignore them. Only a judge can order you to pay. You are correct.....the scumbags are trying to STEAL your money. You could always contact your attorney just to make sure your not in any violations but if you were then they would have already taken you to court.

I am replying to this thread, wondering if the original poster ever heard back from Getty Images or the collection agency? I have heard several stories that ignoring these "extortion" requests meant never hearing from them again. I cannot say what to do but copyright infringement cases cost time and money. Is it really worth it to bring these cases to court? What does it look like if you're suing for $1200 in damages for an item that could be licensed for $20? Would a judge allow a windfall of over 50 times the value of the item - not even including attorneys' fees? Difficult to say but one might wonder whether this is all one elaborate and well done scare tactic to use a law that is possibly not fair as written and perhaps should be amended to reflect unintentional infringement issues.

I think that Righthaven has brought out the growing issue surrounding these "extortion letters" from companies such as Getty Images amongst others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back