Getting Sued by old landlords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis

a friend of mine got evicted from his apartment in Nov of 03, he got a letter in the mail stating that his former landlord is suing him for $3000......ok this is my question, he got evicted but they charged him money till Jan of 04....he has no car, no money, no job, no property, no nothing....what will happen if he cant pay them and also what if he makes a deal of paying them a $100 a month will they dropped the suit or will this thing last forever??

Lewis said:
a friend of mine got evicted from his apartment in Nov of 03, he got a letter in the mail stating that his former landlord is suing him for $3000......ok this is my question, he got evicted but they charged him money till Jan of 04....he has no car, no money, no job, no property, no nothing....what will happen if he cant pay them and also what if he makes a deal of paying them a $100 a month will they dropped the suit or will this thing last forever??

If your friend owes the money and is sued and loses, it is possible that the landlord can garnish money from wages should he eventually work. If he makes a deal to pay $100 a month, maybe the landlord will drop the suit -- but doubtful. Why should he take the bare promise to pay from someone who supposedly has nothing and hasn't paid a cent. Unless this unfortunate friend declares bankruptcy he is able to be sued and will be liable for amounts owed (and note that bankruptcy doesn't clear all prior debts either, e.g. student loans.)

I'm not sure what kind of information you are seeking but I hope the above is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back