Getting served?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittany05

If the subpoena got sent to my parents house but I already moved out and neither my family or the server had a way of contacting me, what happens if I don't show up in court? I'm on bad terms with my family but could be getting a subpoena in the next few weeks. I've already moved out of there and I'm not going to sit around waiting for a subpoena that may or may not come. My credit cards, bank account, etc are all already listed under a different address than my family's house, where I used to live. But the person that wants to sue me thinks I still live there as I just moved out of the house yesterday. What's going to happen? I'm in California and I believe I'm getting summoned for small claims.

Q: If the subpoena got sent to my parents house but I already moved out and neither my family or the server had a way of contacting me, what happens if I don't show up in court?

A: If you are talking about a small claims case, then there will be a default judgment entered against you if you do not show up for court.

Even if they could not reach me in the first place? I can't sit around waiting to receive it and my family and I do not get along. I thought they needed proof of me receiving it first.

Even if they could not reach me in the first place? I can't sit around waiting to receive it and my family and I do not get along. I thought they needed proof of me receiving it first.

You already know about it.

Go to the courthouse and pay for a complete copy of your file and study it closely.

If you have questions, post back.

There is no subpoena yet though. I have not yet been served, and don't know if I really will be or not. One thing's for sure, I won't be around in the case if I do. There isn't anything filed yet for me to buy either.

do not ignore the summons. if it was properly served. and a default was entered against you, you have little to no recourse. either answer the complaint with an affirmative defense, or go to adr with your creditor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back