Getting rid of unregistered, uninsured car after accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupidctdriver

I got into an accident this morning. There was damage to my car and the other person's car, but no personal injury. The other driver is insured.

I then found out that my insurance had been cancelled, and as a result my car's registration had also been cancelled, because I failed to check that the autopay on my insurance policy was working a few months ago. I understand that the DMV may have already suspended my license, but the police didn't say anything about that this morning.

Doing some research, I've found that operating without insurance means that my driver's license will be suspended for one month and that I'll have to pay $250 and have proof of insurance and registration for the car in the accident.

I have to go to court on December 3rd now to answer for all of this. I'm going to junk the car this week. It wasn't in good shape and I don't have the money to do the repairs I need, get new insurance or register it. The law, from what I've been reading, isn't clear on how this works. If/when my license gets suspended, I think I still have to pay the $250, if I get rid of the car I obviously won't be registering or insuring it. Do I bring proof to court that I've done this? What proof should I bring?

If this is my second infraction (over a very long time - the first time, I was able to reinsure and reregister my car), is it likely at all that I'm going to face jail time?

You need to consult an attorney.
Beyond the potential damages to the other car, someone might claim bodily injuries.
You're exposed criminally and civilly.
Don't rush things.
You might need to buy time.
Whatever you do, speak with a CT licensed attorney before your court date.
If I were you, I'd appear, plead not guilty, request time to retain counsel, admit to nothing, engage an attorney.
Frankly, things might get rougher for you, before you can clean things up and get your normal life back.
Whatever you do, don't discuss why the insurance lapsed (or was cancelled).
Explanations often mean trouble, that's why it's best to use your RIGHT to remain SILENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back