getting out of an auto purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

javiejav

I am in the midst of purchasing a vehicle from a dealership. i put a depsit to hold the car and then a down payment a few days later. they gave me a copy of t?he purchase order that i did not sign. can i get out of this and get my down payment back?

Read the contract, the entire contract.
Getting your money back depends on the contract.
Signing it (or not) has no bearing on getting your money back.
In fact, if you were smart enough not to sign it, why were you tricked into giving them your money?
No need to answer, just think about it.
Ask for your money.
You'll get it, or you'll not get it.

That determines your next steps.

If you get it, no worries.

If you don't, you might have to sue them in small claims.
That ain't easy, and often results in nothing more than frustration.

The lesson here is, don't pay until you take delivery.
If someone wants money before you get the product, don't do the deal.

The only place that works is when the government gets paid before you do. That's called taxes. See how that deal screws you????

Sounds like more info is needed.
Did you order a car or is this a car that was on the lot?
Have you taken possession of the car?
What else have you already signed, if anything?

If all you have done is make a down payment then yes, and if you were not given notice that the down payment was non-refundable, then you can certainly change your mind and get your money back.

ok. I have not taken possesion of the car yet. I saw this car on the lot. it is registered and insured in my name but i have not signed anything else. there is a loan involved but i have not signed the paperwork for that as of yet.

not having signed any bank papers is good... you will need to find out whether the down payment is non-refundable. If it isn't you should have at least been told, but likely signed something indicated you were aware of such.
If that didn't happen then it isn't too late for you to back out- you will meet resistance, and they will try to keep the downpayment and sell you something else instead, but if you stick to your guns you should get it back.

this is how the dealerships think ...if you ageed to buy that vehicle and gave a deposit to hold it.then you have taken that vehicle off the market.so if you back out they keep your deposit to offset the time it was off the market.so take the deal or walk away knowing you never give anyone a deposit ..if they wont your business they will doit without one...hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back