Getting guardianship of cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.

starangel922

My aunt passed away a month ago from cancer, she left 2 kids age 12 & 14. She asked me to take care of them but did not leave a will or any legal forms signed before she passed away. The children's father lives out of the country and tried to sexually abuse of the oldest one but police was not called and was reported to no one. (We found out as my cousin recently told us) Does custody automatically go to the father? If so can he just assign me as legal guardian or how do I file for guardianship?

My aunt passed away a month ago from cancer, she left 2 kids age 12 & 14. She asked me to take care of them but did not leave a will or any legal forms signed before she passed away. The children's father lives out of the country and tried to sexually abuse of the oldest one but police was not called and was reported to no one. (We found out as my cousin recently told us) Does custody automatically go to the father? If so can he just assign me as legal guardian or how do I file for guardianship?

Children aren't chattel, and can't be passed around like an heirloom.

That said, dad is has rights, obligations, and duties superior to all others, as regards the care of his children.

If you wish to seek guardianship of the kids, I suggest you discuss this with an attorney.

It will be quite a complicated, lengthy, and expensive process.

The kids could also be eligible to receive certain social security benefits.

You desperately need a lawyer and REAL legal advice, as contrasted with bits of odd information over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back