Domestic Violence & Civil Orders Getting an addict arrested

Dava

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,
My husband recently became addicted to meth after being addicted to pain killers for seven years. He has started to lose himself and his mind. We have a ten month old son who will no longer see him until he is clean. I want to have my husband arrested so that he will detox in jail for at least several days. If I can charge him with something will he be released if I drop the charges? He has a prior record of a dui twice, drunk in public, misdemeanor of marijuana and juvenile gun posession charge. Also, will the charge stay on his record? Please help me, my son needs his father back..

Hello,
My husband recently became addicted to meth after being addicted to pain killers for seven years. He has started to lose himself and his mind. We have a ten month old son who will no longer see him until he is clean. I want to have my husband arrested so that he will detox in jail for at least several days. If I can charge him with something will he be released if I drop the charges? He has a prior record of a dui twice, drunk in public, misdemeanor of marijuana and juvenile gun posession charge. Also, will the charge stay on his record? Please help me, my son needs his father back..

I suggest you learn about addictions, especially a meth addiction.
You can search for such information and then read about it to understand that addicts rarely recover until they've hit rock bottom and want to change.

Meth addicts are among the least likely to be rehabilitated, because the drug is extremely addictive.

It's very unlikely that the man you love, who fathered your child is going to recover with a few days in jail.
You're going to have to come to grips with other options, especially protecting your baby. You might HAVE to leave him to in order to protect your child!!!

You can't charge him with anything.
You can report him to the police when he is in possession of his dope.
You need to discuss this with your mm, dad, sister, brother, a trusted relative, a very good friend, because he will end up destroying you, his child, his family, along with himself.
God bless you and that precious baby.
This is NOT your fault.
This is the result of his selfish, foolish, destructive choice to become a meth addict!!!!!

I am a recovering alcoholic sober now near 30 years. I was jailed numerous times and still drank. Jail i snot your solution! I suggest you start attending Naranon meetings. There you can find other family members of addicted persons whom you can share with and find solutions for yourself (not addicted person) so you can move forward. If children are involved I suggest you leave with children or risk losing them

You do realize, as has been stated, that jail or prison will not "cure" an addict right?

My ex husband is a recovering addict. Mainly meth but marijuana too, alcohol as well. I left him because of his meth addiction and he spent all my money and there is dv in the past too. He was about to spiral again so I left before he could and end up accidentally hurting me or our daughter. She was 10 months old at the time last year.

You are not going to stop his addiction. Jail or prison will not stop it. In fact, they can get drugs EASIER in prison.

YOU cannot "charge" him with anything. The county or state prosecutor does that if he gets arrested for a charge. Do you really want to risk setting him up for false charges? You could get in trouble and where would your kid be then?

You need to get him into an actual treatment facility. If you can't afford it, see if there's anything through the state he or you qualifies for. Ask his or your family. That's much more worth it then him going to prison and having some drug charge on his record.

Of course if he gets convicted of a crime it will stay on his record. A charge? I'm not sure how that works. But I was in your situation - the best thing you can do is leave him and separate. If that doesn't wake him up, divorce him. I guarantee you it's cheaper than supporting his habit. I guarantee he's been stealing or manipulating money out of you. He's not getting the meth for free.

The only way that an addict will get sober is if they get the proper medical and mental health at a treatment center.

Thank you for sharing your story.
God bless you for getting the courage to do what is best for your baby.

Back