Business Debt, Collections General contractor needs to be paid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLWolf

I'm a general Contractoor who most recently was sub contracted by a contracting company to paint the entire interior of a customers house. What was supposed to be a 1 week job had now turned into a 4 week long fiasco which has included but not been limited to, paying out of pocket for unseen damages on the clients home, not being allowed to work on the home because the customers were arguing, having to do work outside of the contracts outline, an many other senseless problems. The real problem is that I have been spending time and money to get this job done so that I can get paid, but the customers are not being reasonable or fair in letting the job be completed. If I don't collect from them soon I'm going to lose my house and my car. Because I'm sub contracted for the work I'm not sure what my legal rights would be pertaining to this situation. Please help!

I'm a general Contractoor who most recently was sub contracted by a contracting company to paint the entire interior of a customers house. What was supposed to be a 1 week job had now turned into a 4 week long fiasco which has included but not been limited to, paying out of pocket for unseen damages on the clients home, not being allowed to work on the home because the customers were arguing, having to do work outside of the contracts outline, an many other senseless problems. The real problem is that I have been spending time and money to get this job done so that I can get paid, but the customers are not being reasonable or fair in letting the job be completed. If I don't collect from them soon I'm going to lose my house and my car. Because I'm sub contracted for the work I'm not sure what my legal rights would be pertaining to this situation. Please help!

You might look into who really owes you.

If you are owed monies by the contractor, you'll probably have to file suit in small claims (dpeending on how much money you are owed), or maybe even district or the next higher level of court.

Be advised, if you go that route, you might prevail, but then you'll play a little game of trying to collect on your judgment.

If th customer was to pay you, then you might be able to place a contractor's (mechanic's/workman's) lien on the home. I doubt that is available, but it depends on the how of your contract.

Is it a written contract, read it. It likely describes how these (and other) situations are to be addressed.

If you go to court, it won't be fast, and you won't walk out of court with cash or a check.

You might wish to speak with a lawyer in your county.

Normally, there wil be no charge for your first meeting. Be prepared to ask your questions of the lawyer during your meeting.

The longer you aren't paid, the less likely you'll ever be paid (or be paid quickly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back