gas company says i didnt pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweaver15

I got a letter from speedway,
saying that there records indicate that i had not payed for 25.00 worth of gas,
two weeks ago,
they said that my card was used thats how they figured out it was me.
they told me to send cash or check or to call them to dispute.

What should i do

The key question is did you buy gas, or is this a case of someone else using your card? Or You didn't by gas, and your card is still in your possession?

What doesn't make since is they are saying your card was used - wouldn't that have paid for it then?? You need to call and find out what is going on.

The card is in my possession and i dont remember if i got gas or not lol.
the card only gives rewards it trackes how much gas you get.
I always pay with cash and dont keep the recipets. so i have no way of knowing.
Wouldnt they have called the police if i drove off even though they had my information?

It's up to them to prove that you didn't pay. Personally, I wouldn't pay them unless they could provide proof. It has been many years since I have been to a gas station that didn't collect the cash first and the pump shut off automatically at the set amount. This scenario seems backwards.
If they make a big deal about it, get a better explanation for what is going on and how they think you owe them. Maybe they will have video of you pumping and not paying... but I really don't know how the pump is activated without you paying up first.

In Michigan you pump first and then pay lol were still old school.
Should I call them or just ignore them?
Wouldnt the police have been called?

It's up to them to prove that you didn't pay. Personally, I wouldn't pay them unless they could provide proof. It has been many years since I have been to a gas station that didn't collect the cash first and the pump shut off automatically at the set amount. This scenario seems backwards.
If they make a big deal about it, get a better explanation for what is going on and how they think you owe them. Maybe they will have video of you pumping and not paying... but I really don't know how the pump is activated without you paying up first.
Here in Arkansas, you pump first and pay later. I have never heard of pre-pay fuel.

Yes, you would have been contacted by the police if they were accusing you of theft.
It is totally up to you if you want to pay it... if you think it may have been you then pay. If you are sure it was not and you don't want to pay then don't. Until they step it up and try to take you to court over it then don't worry about it.

Interesting... I didn't know there were still places out there that let you pump first. I haven't seen that since the '80's.

In my area we had quite a few pump first stations until last summer when gas shot over $4 a gallon and drive offs were getting too common. Now every place is pay first or pay at the pump.

To the OP - They are saying that someone didn't pay and they think it was you because your rewards card had been used. They need to provide some better proof than that. If you call them then tell them that you didn't drive off without paying, and they had better either provide video evidence of you driving off without paying or drop the whole matter.

I also found it weird that they sent me a letter,
My home number and all contact info is with the card,
I could deny that the letter was even received as it was not delivery confirmed.
Also I looked at their website and it tracks where and when I filled up,
The time on the letter is different then what the website shows. Justs seems weird

For twenty five dollars I would pay for the gas and forget the trouble it could cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back