Garnishment

R

Richard Hayes

Jurisdiction
Kansas
I just recently got served with civil papers for a lawsuit that was filed against me for a repossession of a car. My question to you is since I am unable to work due to a back condition and I have filed for disability, just waiting to hear if I am going to get it or not and the next step to take if I am not approved. What should I do about the lawsuit against me?

I just recently got served with civil papers for a lawsuit that was filed against me for a repossession of a car. My question to you is since I am unable to work due to a back condition and I have filed for disability, just waiting to hear if I am going to get it or not and the next step to take if I am not approved. What should I do about the lawsuit against me?

There are many things you can do.
The best thing you can do, as your financial situation deteriorates about you is to IMMEDIATELY meet with a BK attorney.

Talk about a chapter 7 bankruptcy.

It can help you as you try to heal your body and your finances.

A BK filing will avoid the long term, devastating impact a civil judgment can bring.

Meet with 2-3 local BK lawyers Monday or Tuesday, at least call them.

A BK filing alone can take financial worries off your mind while you address your physical ailments.

I wish you a physical and financial healing, friend.

What should I do about the lawsuit against me?

I agree that bankruptcy is certainly an option and the lawsuit goes away if you qualify for Ch 7. Bankruptcy should cost less than $2000 if you hire a lawyer and only a few hundred if you do it yourself.

However, it's not the only option. Another option is to just ignore it, let it go to default, and hope you are judgment proof.

How old are you?
How much are you being sued for?
Do you have any other past due debts that you aren't going to be able to pay? If so, what's the total of the balances?
Are you married? If so, does your spouse earn a living?
Do you have any significant amounts of money in the bank, more than a couple of thousand? Bank accounts can be levied after a judgment so you have to think about the vulnerability of your money.

Back