Personal Bankruptcy Garnishment and Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

neneof8

I currently have a garnishment in place. My payday is tomorrow. My bankruptcy will also be filed tomorrow. Is my employer still obligated to withhold the garnishment from my paycheck? Or will it cease do to the filing of the bankruptcy

I currently have a garnishment in place. My payday is tomorrow. My bankruptcy will also be filed tomorrow. Is my employer still obligated to withhold the garnishment from my paycheck? Or will it cease do to the filing of the bankruptcy

You file today, everything gets stopped.

Have your lawyer file today,if possible.

Otherwise, it'll stop immediately upon filing.

If your lawyer contacts your employer, most likely they can stop it on his say so.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

What is your wage garnishment for? The automatic stay does not apply to domestic support obligations such as child support or alimony. These are considered priority debts that are unaffected by the automatic stay and cannot be discharged by filing bankruptcy. So if your wages are being garnished to satisfy domestic support obligations, the garnishment will not stop if you file bankruptcy.

OP, you may find that you can actually retrieve the garnished monies up to and including 90 days BEFORE the filing (and as long as the total amount is over $600).

It's called "preferential transfer" and it's commonly done.

I do suggest that if this is a simple Ch 7 and you're doing it pro se, to spend $30 on NOLO's excellent book on Ch 7 bankruptcy.

OP, you may find that you can actually retrieve the garnished monies up to and including 90 days BEFORE the filing (and as long as the total amount is over $600).

Just to clarify, if a SINGLE CREDITOR has garnished in excess of $600.00 within the 90 days before the bankruptcy was filed, the creditor can be required to return the garnished money to the consumer. (except for support garnishments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back