Business Debt, Collections Garnish

Status
Not open for further replies.
1977 - seems SOL would have elapsed (in most cases).

Do they have a judgment against you? What is the bill for -- what do you owe a bill for?

Did they actually deduct anything from your SSDI check already?

Thanks.

Can a Bank garnish my whole Social Security SSDI check, or a percentage of my check from a bill back in 1977?

Whoa there. The ONLY people who can garnish SSDI are the government bodies - regular creditors can't touch it. Please provide a few more details because - and I'm not trying to raise your hopes - there could be SEVERE consequences for the bank.

Please also clarify whether or not it's actually the check, or if it's taking the money once it has hit your bank account..

Even the IRS can't take the whole thing. The IRS can only confiscate 15%, of some benefits, if I recall correctly.

The IRS can take your social security retirement or social security disability benefits.

As a general rule the IRS is limited to what they can legally STEAL to 15%.

The IRS should not take Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

These benefits are considered public assistance benefits and are usually assumed to be only enough to provide for basic necessities.

I suggest you visit the bank and speak with the manager. Gather all the details you can. In the interim, contact SS, better yet, visit them in person, too.

READ THIS:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Soci...Eligible-for-the-Federal-Payment-Levy-Program

http://www.iowalegalaid.org/resource/what-to-do-when-the-irs-plans-to-take-your-so

Last edited:

Of course, but that's extremely rare if you're attempting to remediate the issue.
It's also a very rare thing to snatch everything from someone receiving $1,000/month from SS.
But, stuff happens.
Because by taking the $1,000/month of SS, the victim can receive increased benefits from public assistance programs.
That said, Uncle Sam seems to be losing sensitivity these days, replacing it with GREED.

Well, we also don't know what the debt is ;)

If it was a government debt, they at least have to send you notice of intent to levy.

Well, we also don't know what the debt is ;)

If it was a government debt, they at least have to send you notice of intent to levy.

If its not a gubmint debt, there should be no worries.
The worst, the absolute worst are student loans.
I'm lucky to have not incurred their wrath.

I completely agree!

And as a side note, it's easier to discharge taxes in BK than student loans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back