Friend won't pay on rest of loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfreeman

I took out a loan of $6,500. to help a friend get a car, pay for furniture, and court fees. I actually paid the overage of $14.35 which was no big deal.(you will see why in the letter below) She made the first 2 payments and came up with some stupid excuse (says I was obsessed with her and talking about her) for her not wanting to be friends anymore. By the way I am a married female w/ children so the obsession thing was definitely out. Anyway, she told me not to contact her by phone, on her job, or text message. I have, though, sent her the payment stubs for July's payment, which she didn't make, and have just sent her August's payment stub as well, along with the following letter that was certified:

Dear___,
When I took out the loan for $6500 to help you get a car9$4,250), replace the motor in the car($1750), purchase a bedroom set (434.35), and pay for court fees ($80), you agreed to make the monthly payments and pay off the loan. You made the first two payments, didn't make the third(July 2005), and the fourth is soon due. To date you haven't made any effort to July's payment, nor contact me regarding this responsibility.
You promised you would that you would make the payments for the loan, soyou need to make good for the car you are riding around in, the bedroom set you are using, and the court fees.
I can only assume you have no intention to make the remaining payments and leave me no choice but to take the necessary action to recoup the money owed.

One problem possibly is everything was paid in cash except for the furniture. However I have every document (i.e. bank withdrawal receipts that match the amount of the car, the repair, and court fees) along with the receipts to back up my claim. She had to take the guy to court whom she purchased the car from because the motor was bad.The car however is in her name. I did this for her because she was very close to me and my family. She made a verbal agreement with me to pay, and in fact made a $200 payment the 1st time and a $185 payment the 2nd time. (payment are $175.81)
I spoke to a Judge who told me if I didn't have it in writing It's hard for me to prove> I told him of all my paperwork and he said it doesn't prove anything. The burden of proof is on me. he said she seems to be a pro, and he believes me whole heartly, but that's how the system works. I'm going to take her to court, burt somehow I feel that this system stinks and is not fair, after all the lady with the balances in her hand are not even and she's blind folded. can people get away with this kind of thing by lying and saying people like myself and say the money was a gift. after all she went to make the payments the first 2 times. Can she be made to continue making payments or will I be stuck with paying for this loan. Can someone please offer their advice in the matter? And just a side note: she is indirectly threatening me saying to others that she is "Going to get her "thug" family to get me if I bother her." Go figure, i try to help someone and they threaten me.

All she has to say is that it was a gift from you! You, my friend, signed for the debt. Learn the lesson we all have learned. Feed a man a fish and he will go hungry the next day, Teach a man to fish and he will survive a life time.

I say the same thing as the judge. You will have a very hard time proving your case.

And consider this, the system does not stink. What would you do if i was to show up in court tomorrow and tell the judge that before my answer here we had a nice conversation in private and you were so grateful that you told me you would give me $ 10,000 for my work in answering here.

What would you think if the judge then said: This gentleman seems so nice and so honest that I don't require any paperwork and give him a judgment against you for $ 10,000.

Then the system would stink. But the system as it is requires everyone to be able to prove his claims and the best way to do this is to have things in writing.

I understand that this is a hard lesson. If a friend came to me tonight and wanted $ 10,000 from me I would give it to him right away, too, without any paperwork. I would do this for a really good friend. If he then would abscond I would see this as the price for my belief in friendship. But I could not blame the system. And anyone below the "best friend" category would get the money from me only after signing a contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back