Friend totaled my uninsured car

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The other day my friend practically begged me to use my car. I told him it was not insured, and yet he still insisted. I agreed to let him use it since he claimed he was just going to make a quick errand. He left with his girlfriend, who also knew there was no insurance on the car. He took my car around a corner at 125 mph, flipped the car at least 3 times, and completely totaled it. His girlfriend went to the hospital and had a CT scan with just bruising to her hip, no internal damage. He is now refusing to pay for the damages to my car. What we did not know about him was that he has done this at least 3 times in the past with other vehicles. And he is a guy who constantly drives that fast.
Can I take him to small claims court and would I stand a chance? Even though I had no insurance on the car? Also can his girlfriend sue me for hospital bills because I had no insurance? Thanks.

You could be in legal jeopardy.
But, they both sound financially distressed, as do you.
One can't squeeze blood from a turnip.
You need to learn to say NO, and mean it!

You can take him to court for the damages to your car and likely win, but not likely collect anything. You are most likely not liable for his negligent acts which caused injury to the passenger. The only theory might be negligent entrustment to a dangerous driver, but the passenger assumed the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back