Friend possibly caused death of another person

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaredfriend

Hi and thanks for reading this message.

Last week a friend of mine was on his way to work the nightshift. It was late and the roads were quite empty when he saw a car in his rear view mirror that was really speeding. The car came up beside him and then cut him off really badly almost causing an accident. My friend got upset and began honking his horn. The other driver gave my friend the finger. My friend got more upset so he (stupidly) began chasing the other car at a high rate of speed. He managed to pass the other car and proceeded to cut the other guy off to get revenge. I guess the other driver got startled because he had to swerve to avoid my friend, lost control of his car, spun out and hit a light pole and bridge underpass head on. My friend was so startled that he didn't stop. He turned around and went home and then called in sick to work. The next day there was a whole bunch of police tape around the accident scene and the local news said that the other driver was seriously injured and that police were asking for witnesses to come forward. Today we saw that there were a whole bunch of flowers at the scene of the accident - the type people leave behind on the side of the road when someone dies in an accident. The news is still asking for witnesses to come forward and said that so far no one has contacted the police. They did not say anything about the condition of the other driver.

My friend is quite upset because he thinks he may have caused the death of the other driver by cutting him off to get revenge. He doesn't know what to do but is certain that he can't turn himself in. He says he wouldn't last a night in jail. Because he called in sick to work that night and lives alone, no one knows that he was out on the road that night except for me. His alibi is pretty much airtight and on top of that, not a single witness has come forward yet and it has been almost one week.

It really looks like he may get away with it and I'm starting to feel sick about the whole situation. I have the following questions:

1. Should I report my friend to the police?
2. What will happen to him if I turn him in?
3. Could he claim self-defence or provocation or something like that?
4. Am I an accomplice now and could I be charged with a crime too for not saying anything for a week?
5. If I say nothing and somehow he is caught later, could I get nailed for keeping his actions a secret?

Please respond ASAP. Thanks.

This is really tricky. This guy could face very serious charges, actually even murder charges, depending on the circumstances.

In many states there is a crime called "misprision of felony" which makes it a crime to conceal the fact that another has committed a crime and not to report that to the authorities. Usually mere knowledge without any active action does not fulfil the requirements to be charged with misprision.

But any active help in concealing a crime might be misprision, any even more active help might even lead to an accomplice charge.

We cannot give you any advice here on what you should do.

scaredfriend said:
Hi and thanks for reading this message.

Last week a friend of mine was on his way to work the nightshift. It was late and the roads were quite empty when he saw a car in his rear view mirror that was really speeding. The car came up beside him and then cut him off really badly almost causing an accident. My friend got upset and began honking his horn. The other driver gave my friend the finger. My friend got more upset so he (stupidly) began chasing the other car at a high rate of speed. He managed to pass the other car and proceeded to cut the other guy off to get revenge. I guess the other driver got startled because he had to swerve to avoid my friend, lost control of his car, spun out and hit a light pole and bridge underpass head on. My friend was so startled that he didn't stop. He turned around and went home and then called in sick to work. The next day there was a whole bunch of police tape around the accident scene and the local news said that the other driver was seriously injured and that police were asking for witnesses to come forward. Today we saw that there were a whole bunch of flowers at the scene of the accident - the type people leave behind on the side of the road when someone dies in an accident. The news is still asking for witnesses to come forward and said that so far no one has contacted the police. They did not say anything about the condition of the other driver.

My friend is quite upset because he thinks he may have caused the death of the other driver by cutting him off to get revenge. He doesn't know what to do but is certain that he can't turn himself in. He says he wouldn't last a night in jail. Because he called in sick to work that night and lives alone, no one knows that he was out on the road that night except for me. His alibi is pretty much airtight and on top of that, not a single witness has come forward yet and it has been almost one week.

It really looks like he may get away with it and I'm starting to feel sick about the whole situation. I have the following questions:

1. Should I report my friend to the police?
2. What will happen to him if I turn him in?
3. Could he claim self-defence or provocation or something like that?
4. Am I an accomplice now and could I be charged with a crime too for not saying anything for a week?
5. If I say nothing and somehow he is caught later, could I get nailed for keeping his actions a secret?

Please respond ASAP. Thanks.

i dont blame your friend at all. i mean the person was obvioulsy wishing death on itself by driving at high speeds. and disregarding whoever was ahead of him/her.

He could have made the whole thing up for all you know. It's your word against his. Even though you see that it may be true, there is no proof...........it almost sounds like an urban legend. To real to be real............but I am not a lawyer.....just my two cents......Let it go. Maybe they will say you were in the car with him.....prove you weren't............

heya scared

Your friend is in deep trouble, my legal advice is to tell him to get a lawyer immediately. I'm guessing he's told more people than just you about this incident, any of whom could tell the police and turn him in. Please let me know what has transpired since your last submission.

iwannahelpu said:
Your friend is in deep trouble, my legal advice is to tell him to get a lawyer immediately. I'm guessing he's told more people than just you about this incident, any of whom could tell the police and turn him in. Please let me know what has transpired since your last submission.
NYCLEX is right on target. This is a very difficult issue to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back