Consumer Fraud friend has $3000 in fraud check charges taken from their account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkersguy

a friend had $3000 in fraud check charges posted to their accountant. someone bought items at a high-end store, and using the routing number of their checking account,somehow were mailed the items, not cc, or dc, checking. the police told her with the routing number of a check ,that is all they need. Chase Bank said there is nothing they can do,she is out the money.
i do not belive this is true, I know chase has had quite a large hacking into their accounts recently and a group of thieves were able to withdrawal a lot of money using fake debit cards with real information, even going oner the victims limit by thousands.
everyone you ever sent a check to has your routing number,and all their employees. Seems thy let a scammer open an account over the phone,,no secret questions/answers were used by chase to verify ID, she knew her questions and answers'
in fact when she was in the bank speaking to the manager,the manager never tested or checked credentials
i am not 100% sure if chase is sticking her with the $3,000, but she says they are.
who should she contact? even if she is made whole by chase, there is no way that credit should be allowed with a routing number,especially when she has set up anti-fraud secret q&A

That is not how Chase deals with fraud. The only reason they'd go down that path is if they suspect your friend was somehow involved. It's also impossible to access an account using only the routing number - this number is actually made public. Hence there's no way she was hacked with ONLY the routing number. The thief would need the account number.

So - did your friend request that Chase access the charge information?

I will admit, this scenario just has red flags all over the place.

This appears to be between the merchant and your friend, not Chase. Friend needs to change their account number. Chase is required to process a claim filed timely though. I suspect their response will be it was not fraudulent. At that point it should be escalated to the US Comptrollers Office. This will be a long drawn out process. Everything should be done by certified letter. See EFT Act.
b) BURDEN OF PROOF.--In any action which involves a consumer's liability for an unauthorized electronic fund transfer, the burden of proof is upon the financial institution to show that the electronic fund transfer was authorized or, if the electronic fund transfer was unauthorized, then the burden of proof is upon the financial institution to establish that the conditions of liability set forth in subsection (a) have been met, and, if the transfer was initiated after the effective date of section 905, that the disclosures required to be made to the consumer under section 905(a)(1) and (2) were in fact made in accordance with such section.

http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/6500-1350.html

Last edited:
Chase is very fair and quick to resolve these kinds of issues favorably.

I am a Chase customer, and they resolved this situation twice fo rme over the last 14-15 months.

The money was deposited back to my account within minutes of me reporting it the first time, and them contacting me the second.

Your friend might want to be very careful.

i agree with all that has been said. i too cant believe routing number is enough to open a mail order account via phone, and have the goods shipped to a different address.
I have to ask her more information,but she is not a thief and can barely use a computer. She is also not very assertive, at all. She knows the store was SAKS 5th average in New York City, where she has never shopped. i told her to get the delivery address.
the local yonkers police told her the crooks only need a routing number, but they are dumb as cement. She did file a police report.
i do know that three cc companies don't care about catching fraud in the act. a friend has his cc stolen, and he got the smallest messages of each charge and location. i have the same early fraud system. the cc fraud unit didn't care about the charges and would not try to do anything to catch them in the act. the cc should have been invalid after the report

You need much more than a routing number to defraud any checking or savings account.
Routing numbers are offered by banks, savings & loans, and credit unions so heir customers don't have to bother looking for them.

Nope, something is out of order here.

Maybe someone she trusted had access to more than she knows????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back