Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft friend caught shoplifting at urban outfitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmoney

Shoplifting
my friend went to urban outfitters and tried to steal a shirt that was $16.00. She is 19.Needless to say the door alarm went off and she was caught. They brought her down to the office where they took down her license, had her sign a thing saying she wouldn't go back to an Urban Outfitters for three years. Then they said that she would be getting something in the mail. A fine. She wants to know if she will get taken to court and if she needs to get a lawyer. The police were not called so she is thinking that she will just get fined. Is that realistic?

Then they said that she would be getting something in the mail. A fine.
It's called a Civil Demand and can be as high as $500, usually half that
She wants to know if she will get taken to court and if she needs to get a lawyer.
No on both
The police were not called so she is thinking that she will just get fined. Is that realistic
As realistic as it's gonna get

Hope she learns a lesson, otherwise you'll be back here

The possibilty of court is low although not out of the question. What they want is Civil Demand which was mentioned in previous post. Pay the Civil Demand and stay our of store and you should be fine. No one can say for sure if they will press criminal charges but at this point it isnt very likely

the exact same thing happened to me tonight. stupid, i know. I'm 18 and got caught taking $20 worth. she took my ID, SS#, told me i'd have to go to court and have thousands of dollars in fines/lawyer fees, that it'd go on my record and i'd never be hired in retail and anyone doing a background check on me would know (no cops showed up though so i didn't realize someone other than a police officer could do that?? correct me if i'm wrong) and yeah.

you should let me know what happened to your friend so i could have a heads up on what will happen to me. i JUST moved out to San Diego and here's what i get myself into. I definitely learned my lesson, but i'm hoping the consequences aren't so bad that i can't keep them to myself and have to make the phonecall to the parents which will send me straight back home probably... :(

any words of wisdom/advice/encouraging reassurement that everything will end up okay are more than welcome..

oh god this happened to me tonight\
and im only 15,

i was obviously being stupid,its the first time I've ever done this

will the punishment be less severe since im 15?

Oh man

The SAME thing happened to me on valentines day! I am 18 and I was caught shoplifting a $16.00 dollar cami.
I live in Seattle, Washington.
They took me to the back room and made me sign a paper saying I wouldn't go back for 3 years. And then they said I would get a letter from the company's lawyer with a civil demand thing.
I have not gotten the letter yet.
How much will it be you think???

The SAME thing happened to me on valentines day! I am 18 and I was caught shoplifting a $16.00 dollar cami.
I live in Seattle, Washington.
They took me to the back room and made me sign a paper saying I wouldn't go back for 3 years. And then they said I would get a letter from the company's lawyer with a civil demand thing.
I have not gotten the letter yet.
How much will it be you think???

This thread is from 2008! its very unlikely they are still around. You might be best suited if you started your own thread

this happened to me today. im 15 too and ive never shoplifted from there before but it was a huge mistake that im definitely not going to repeat. they called my parents, and are fining me, but they said i couldnt come back ever, not just in three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back