Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Fraud Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdalfred

I am a contractor for the State. I have worked there for 6 years. In trying to prove that the State could save money by Selling the older equipment rather than giving it to a seperate entity I did something I now know was dumb. I setup an Ebay and Paypal account (using my State email). Snapped a couple pictures of a couple things we were sending to SWAP. I didn't try to hide it, as a matter of fact I talked about it to a couple co-workers and an elected official. I actually thought I would get an (atta-boy) for showing that they could actually make a decent profit. Well someone who didn't like me reported it. A couple investigators came to my appartment and questioned me about it. I let them look around my appartment. I had one of the items in my appt.. I normally do have it at home anyway to do upgrades and testing. I had nothing else that I wasn't suppose to have (ie.. Blackberry, laptop-assigned to me). A week later the detective called and said that the State was sending the report to the County DA's office. No money was ever excepted for the items. One of the items I had loaned out to another department for a week (the week after the auction stopped).

I do not have a record. 1 speeding ticket in the last 7 years.

Should I get a lawyer? I am now unemployed and don't have the money. I am sole parent of my daughter in her senior year of high school.

Do I have a right to get a copy of the report sent to the DA before I get a summons?

You didn't commit a crime. The most they could consider would be attempted embezzlement. I would wait to see what the DA does. I doubt they will do anything. Check back with us when the DA does one thing or the other. I wouldn't sweat it right now. You might get an Affidavit or two from friendly coworkers that will back up your story and get together any proof that you were doing what you were doing.

Your intent is an important factor when considering criminal charges. It is unlikely, from what you have said here, that you would face anything serious in that regard. That does not mean that the employer won't take some sort of disciplinary action if they feel it is necessary.
Don't worry about an attorney unless you are charged with a crime.

You can not receive a copy of an investigative report until and if you are charged and you file for discovery.

If the DA's office decides to Decline the case, will I get a notification or will I have to worry about it for the next year? If they decline it now, if they get slow on cases can they pick it up again later and go from there?

If you didn't actually sell anything, and you didn't have anything in your home that you weren't allowed to have there. You aren't going to be charged. You won't get notification. It will just be out their until someone decides to do something or not. I know that isn't very appealing but it is a good deal better than being in jail now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back