fraud by deceit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moralfiber

My sister in law was recenlty featured in a front page article in a prominent newspaper concerning her views on how she is basically destitue since my brother was deployed to Iraq in november 2004. The problem is the article is filled with bold faced lies.In order to convey the seriousness of what she has done,I need to give you a little background on her.She has "literally" made a career out of lying--She has actually boasted on many occassions that she has lied to get medical and financial,rental/living assistance--by her own admission--"All you have to do is lie to them" and although I should have probably turned her in for those statements,I discovered early on that its hard to believe anything that comes out of her mouth--so I chose to just ignore her and felt that if she was truly defrauding these people,they would catch her at it without my help.She has placed herself and my brother near bankruptsy 2 times in past 2 years by not paying their bills,applying for as many credit cards as she could and maxing all of them out and spending all their money on clothes,tatoos and body piercings,along with eating fast food daily.She hasn't held down a job since they married and she has been fired from them all for either calling in sick too much,not doing her work and lying and saying she did it anyway,along with just not showing up.She apparently just kept telling my brother she was paying bills all along and then would just throw them in the trash until the bank finally got through to him on the phone one day and alerted him that they were going to foreclose on his house.My mother and step father bailed them out of having to file bankruptsy by paying off tens of thousands of dollars and actually saved her from going to jail for writing worthless checks--not once but twice-Of course she had many excuses for not paying her bills/loans,down to accusing the bank manager of keeping her checks and cashing the money for himelf! Even with this assistance she still managed to incur two convictions of worthless checks-I know this as it is on public record in an online circuit court information website in the state where we live.She has through her mental instability,insecurity and petty jealousy created huge lies that have at any given time "starred" everyone in my family as having said or done damaging things either to or about her or my brother.This has been going on for years and our family's stance has been just to let her continue to tell lies and not give her the attention by even trying to set the record straight/not dignifying her accusations with a response in order to "keep the peace" for my brother's sake--Most people who know her--including her own family--call her a liar without a conscience--you would be hard pressed to find anyone that she hasn't offended or lied to or about.She contantly harrasses my brother about her made up insults-he has lost several jobs due to her showing up and using profanity to him in front of customers,she has also physically assulted him in public and private on numerous occassions. She would call him up to 50 times a day and just yell at him.She also did this to the father of her older daughter and his family-- claiming after he wouldn't stay with her that her own dau was a product of him raping her--she knows no boundaries.My brother raised this child from 18 months old until present day she is 8 now--You may ask why he stayed with her,well he is naive and "bought into" all her childhood trauma stories of alleged abuses and mistreatments from her parents and generally anyone she has ever come into contact with--which by the way she has her supposedly "horribly abusive" parents babysit for her child so she can go to the bars on a weekly basis..so I think he wanted to "save her" This child by the way still sees her biological father and his family every other weekend,but sister in law makes her write her last name as my brothers and tells this child that my brother is her father,and makes her call my brother Dad..But that is his business and he needs to live his own life-My brother told my mother that SIL was telling him she knew he was going to die everyday before he actually left for Iraq and that she hoped she would get alot of money out of it.Since my brother has been deployed and even before this she has been invited to all family functions and even though she talks badly about us to anyone who will listen,we continue to take the high road.She doesn't of course show up to any invited functions and in fact tells people that we never invite her--we still send her cards and gift certificates which of course she uses or cashes but has never acknowledged or thanked my family for--We still continue trying as best we can not to make the situaltion worse and make sure to include her and support her and the children(she and my brother have a 3 year old child) if they need it.She has told my mother that if she sees any of our numbers on caller ID that she will never answer and that she wishes we were all dead.There's so much more,but I'd be writing for weeks to get it all down--I think you get the jest of her character and what kind of lies she is capable of telling.Never did we think however she could stoop to this level.In the article she says she has no family or financial support,that she has to eat ramen noodles everyday and that my brother lost his semi trucking business and their Yukon because of the lost wages of having to Iraq,The fact is they were way behind on all those payments well before my brother found out he was going to Iraq--My step father and mother had to make the payments so that their own business wouldn't go under and actually my step father told my brother that he would take over the semi,put a driver into it and give my brother all the profit and the semi when he returned from Iraq but my sister in law stated in no uncertain terms that she would rather see the bank take the semi away and my step father lose his business because of it because because "she hates him" My brother listened to her--my step father was forced to take over the loan for the semi which was substantial so that my brother could have good credit when he returns from Iraq.she also claimed no bank would give her a loan--I am sure because of her past financial "wizardry"--but the people reading this don't know this--The article stated she has received many cash donations from various banks because she stated "I finally realized I needed help" she states if it wasn't for a couple of banks giving her money for christmas presents that her children wouldn't have had a christmas---when in fact she had 4 christmases--one with her parents,my dad and his wife,her first child had christmas with her fathers family,she has one with her sisters--this info comes to us from my brothers letters--and of course she was invited to ours--and was sent many giftcertificates in mail totalling at least 200.00 from my family--also my brother re-uped and wrote to us that as of April 1st they would be debt free given the fact that he got $15,000 for re-upping and he is a srgt in army with 16 years of service so already sends home over $5,000 a month.He wrote was happy they would be debt free --this article was written on april 24--she also claimed she cannot work because she doesn't have enough money for daycare for their 3 year old and that they survive on eating ramen noodles everyday and actually made the assinine statement that they have been reduced to "clipping coupons and buying generic food" she also stated they had to "give up their extended satellite cable" and had to "voluntarily let their 2001 yukon get reposessed--and now she has to "sniff sniff" ride around in a car that is 10 years old that a neighbor "let her buy"-which by the way-according to my brother-was "given" to her to use while my brother is in Iraq and until they can get a new car because the owner of the car was the father of a close friend of my brothers-they are in the same unit in Iraq-- the father suddenly passed away before they were deployed.Since my brother has gone,she has been seen by many people at the local bar spending wads of money,showing off the two 800.00 dollar tatooes she has gotten since he left,filling her cart like a maniac at walmart with clothes--she has 5 feet of clothing in all rooms of their house that she just walks on,instead of doing the laundry she just buys more clothes,there are also "piles" knee deep of toys for her children,and according to my brother she has never once cooked a meal but instead orders hundreds of dollars of food from Swans food delivery monthly and her car is filled to the seats with fast food wrappers--No ramen noodle wrappers in sight!!-I have turned my back on all her other lies over the years,but I think that her portraying herself as this destitute person is the last straw if not illegal--people who read this article and believe her are going to send her money and that seems like fraud to me.I can't believe the reporter didn't check her background but either way I'm not sure if this would be illegal and my family,although highly mortified by her comments,want to "stay out of it" I feel a moral obligation to at least somehow warn the people not to buy into these lies and give their money to the spouses of war who are truly struggling.what should be done?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Really sorry to hear about your brother's problem. I read part of it. Why doesn't your brother do something or allow you and your family to do something? There is also the possibility of divorce and I would try to create a paper trail for as much evidence as possible against your sister in law. I wish all of you luck, especially your brother.

moralfiber said:
My sister in law was recenlty featured in a front page article in a prominent newspaper concerning her views on how she is basically destitue since my brother was deployed to Iraq in november 2004. The problem is the article is filled with bold faced lies.In order to convey the seriousness of what she has done,I need to give you a little background on her.She has "literally" made a career out of lying--She has actually boasted on many occassions that she has lied to get medical and financial,rental/living assistance--by her own admission--"All you have to do is lie to them" and although I should have probably turned her in for those statements,I discovered early on that its hard to believe anything that comes out of her mouth--so I chose to just ignore her and felt that if she was truly defrauding these people,they would catch her at it without my help.She has placed herself and my brother near bankruptsy 2 times in past 2 years by not paying their bills,applying for as many credit cards as she could and maxing all of them out and spending all their money on clothes,tatoos and body piercings,along with eating fast food daily.She hasn't held down a job since they married and she has been fired from them all for either calling in sick too much,not doing her work and lying and saying she did it anyway,along with just not showing up.She apparently just kept telling my brother she was paying bills all along and then would just throw them in the trash until the bank finally got through to him on the phone one day and alerted him that they were going to foreclose on his house.My mother and step father bailed them out of having to file bankruptsy by paying off tens of thousands of dollars and actually saved her from going to jail for writing worthless checks--not once but twice-Of course she had many excuses for not paying her bills/loans,down to accusing the bank manager of keeping her checks and cashing the money for himelf! Even with this assistance she still managed to incur two convictions of worthless checks-I know this as it is on public record in an online circuit court information website in the state where we live.She has through her mental instability,insecurity and petty jealousy created huge lies that have at any given time "starred" everyone in my family as having said or done damaging things either to or about her or my brother.This has been going on for years and our family's stance has been just to let her continue to tell lies and not give her the attention by even trying to set the record straight/not dignifying her accusations with a response in order to "keep the peace" for my brother's sake--Most people who know her--including her own family--call her a liar without a conscience--you would be hard pressed to find anyone that she hasn't offended or lied to or about.She contantly harrasses my brother about her made up insults-he has lost several jobs due to her showing up and using profanity to him in front of customers,she has also physically assulted him in public and private on numerous occassions. She would call him up to 50 times a day and just yell at him.She also did this to the father of her older daughter and his family-- claiming after he wouldn't stay with her that her own dau was a product of him raping her--she knows no boundaries.My brother raised this child from 18 months old until present day she is 8 now--You may ask why he stayed with her,well he is naive and "bought into" all her childhood trauma stories of alleged abuses and mistreatments from her parents and generally anyone she has ever come into contact with--which by the way she has her supposedly "horribly abusive" parents babysit for her child so she can go to the bars on a weekly basis..so I think he wanted to "save her" This child by the way still sees her biological father and his family every other weekend,but sister in law makes her write her last name as my brothers and tells this child that my brother is her father,and makes her call my brother Dad..But that is his business and he needs to live his own life-My brother told my mother that SIL was telling him she knew he was going to die everyday before he actually left for Iraq and that she hoped she would get alot of money out of it.Since my brother has been deployed and even before this she has been invited to all family functions and even though she talks badly about us to anyone who will listen,we continue to take the high road.She doesn't of course show up to any invited functions and in fact tells people that we never invite her--we still send her cards and gift certificates which of course she uses or cashes but has never acknowledged or thanked my family for--We still continue trying as best we can not to make the situaltion worse and make sure to include her and support her and the children(she and my brother have a 3 year old child) if they need it.She has told my mother that if she sees any of our numbers on caller ID that she will never answer and that she wishes we were all dead.There's so much more,but I'd be writing for weeks to get it all down--I think you get the jest of her character and what kind of lies she is capable of telling.Never did we think however she could stoop to this level.In the article she says she has no family or financial support,that she has to eat ramen noodles everyday and that my brother lost his semi trucking business and their Yukon because of the lost wages of having to Iraq,The fact is they were way behind on all those payments well before my brother found out he was going to Iraq--My step father and mother had to make the payments so that their own business wouldn't go under and actually my step father told my brother that he would take over the semi,put a driver into it and give my brother all the profit and the semi when he returned from Iraq but my sister in law stated in no uncertain terms that she would rather see the bank take the semi away and my step father lose his business because of it because because "she hates him" My brother listened to her--my step father was forced to take over the loan for the semi which was substantial so that my brother could have good credit when he returns from Iraq.she also claimed no bank would give her a loan--I am sure because of her past financial "wizardry"--but the people reading this don't know this--The article stated she has received many cash donations from various banks because she stated "I finally realized I needed help" she states if it wasn't for a couple of banks giving her money for christmas presents that her children wouldn't have had a christmas---when in fact she had 4 christmases--one with her parents,my dad and his wife,her first child had christmas with her fathers family,she has one with her sisters--this info comes to us from my brothers letters--and of course she was invited to ours--and was sent many giftcertificates in mail totalling at least 200.00 from my family--also my brother re-uped and wrote to us that as of April 1st they would be debt free given the fact that he got $15,000 for re-upping and he is a srgt in army with 16 years of service so already sends home over $5,000 a month.He wrote was happy they would be debt free --this article was written on april 24--she also claimed she cannot work because she doesn't have enough money for daycare for their 3 year old and that they survive on eating ramen noodles everyday and actually made the assinine statement that they have been reduced to "clipping coupons and buying generic food" she also stated they had to "give up their extended satellite cable" and had to "voluntarily let their 2001 yukon get reposessed--and now she has to "sniff sniff" ride around in a car that is 10 years old that a neighbor "let her buy"-which by the way-according to my brother-was "given" to her to use while my brother is in Iraq and until they can get a new car because the owner of the car was the father of a close friend of my brothers-they are in the same unit in Iraq-- the father suddenly passed away before they were deployed.Since my brother has gone,she has been seen by many people at the local bar spending wads of money,showing off the two 800.00 dollar tatooes she has gotten since he left,filling her cart like a maniac at walmart with clothes--she has 5 feet of clothing in all rooms of their house that she just walks on,instead of doing the laundry she just buys more clothes,there are also "piles" knee deep of toys for her children,and according to my brother she has never once cooked a meal but instead orders hundreds of dollars of food from Swans food delivery monthly and her car is filled to the seats with fast food wrappers--No ramen noodle wrappers in sight!!-I have turned my back on all her other lies over the years,but I think that her portraying herself as this destitute person is the last straw if not illegal--people who read this article and believe her are going to send her money and that seems like fraud to me.I can't believe the reporter didn't check her background but either way I'm not sure if this would be illegal and my family,although highly mortified by her comments,want to "stay out of it" I feel a moral obligation to at least somehow warn the people not to buy into these lies and give their money to the spouses of war who are truly struggling.what should be done?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back