Forum Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

dell

I had someone say some pretty bad stuff about me on forum that is not true. Is there away to sue them for slander. I have very close friends who read it as well. The person only heard 1 side to the story and agreed it wasn't true, now they want to public say it is.

dell said:
I had someone say some pretty bad stuff about me on forum that is not true. Is there away to sue them for slander. I have very close friends who read it as well. The person only heard 1 side to the story and agreed it wasn't true, now they want to public say it is.

Written materials are known as "libel" (spoken is slander.) You may be able to sue them but unless the statements are very damaging, it may be more costly to go to court than the award is worth. How many people may have viewed this post? If we are talking about tens of thousands, many of whom may be in your community and know you, that might be an endeavor worth your while to pursue. Otherwise, you may just want to have the user reported and banned and the material removed. If the material is dangerous to you and seriously causes you to fear physical harm, you might want to report this to the police.

I have recently undergone a background investigation for a position in the Federal government. I was astonished to find out that I was accussed of pysically abusing a former girlfriend. This is absolutely untrue. I offered my current girlfriends information as well as all my other ex girlfriends' information in order to corroborate that I do not abuse women.

The background investigator concluded that it was probably "sour grapes" because I left the girl and that he would write it up as such. However, I undoubtedly feel this negative attack will have an adverse effect on my acquiring of the security clearance I need for the position. Do I have a suit for slander/defamation of character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back