Former Landlord Opening and Witholding My Packages

I

Incognito Cube

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello. I've recently moved out of a residence in which I had an oral agreement to stay there while I payed all utilities. I was there from January 2015 - January 2016, so naturally throughout that year I had gotten all my mail set up at that residence for bills, packages, any sort of legal information, etc..

A former roommate of mine that was/still is renting at that residence has just recently informed me that my former landlord has opened at least one of my packages that had gotten there around January, just weeks after I moved out, and gave her another one of mine apparently saying, "Do what you want with this package, keep it if you want, but do not give this to him [me].". She gave it to me, of course and unfortunately does not have that statement on record. She states that she (and other roommates there) have witnessed him ripping up mail that isn't his just because he's too lazy to put a forwarding address on it or a note saying "This person no longer resides here". One of which was apparently another former roommates 2015 Tax Return.

I am a member of Legal Shield and will be getting in touch with them this week. I've already filed a complaint with these guysapostalinspectors.uspis.gov_images_Internet_Banner.jpg just about an hour ago. I have not contacted the Police, I'd prefer to have as much evidence as possible before I do something like that. I do, however, want to get him in as much legal trouble as possible. I've known this guy for 20+ years, and he pulls irresponsible and childish sh*t like this all the time. I'm sick of it because he always gets off spot free, it must end.

Please let me know of any more information I should provide and I would be absolutely happy to do my best.

You are free to report this to the USPS and see how it goes.

But I gotta tell you, this is nobody's fault but your own for not filing a forwarding address with the post office the minute you moved out.

Just made an account here. I'm posting this to provide access to my account page. (I'm OP)

The local police would simply refer you to the USPS Postal Inspectors.
The USPS PI will look into the matter, but don't expect anything to be done.
The LL is under no legal obligation, nor does he have a LEGAL DUTY to see to it that you receive your mail.

The LL is one of millions worldwide that may not be likable, friendly, or neighborly, but the USPS PI won't do much about your complaint.

If, however, you seek some amusement; send yourself a certified, or registered letter.

When/If the curmudgeonly fella signs for it you'll know tracking it online.

You visit him, ask for your letter.
He'll probably not have it, after hearing the lie, "I don't know nothin' 'bout no damn letter, now git!"

You can pop right over to your, by now, USPS PI pals and rat the gentleman out! This time, however, you'll have some proof, maybe.

You are free to report this to the USPS and see how it goes.

But I gotta tell you, this is nobody's fault but your own for not filing a forwarding address with the post office the minute you moved out.

Not everyone has a place to go as soon as they move out. I was pressed to move out by 'legal' action that he was trying to take, for reasons you'll appreciate me not getting into due to the petty nature of them. I had no time, money, or energy to ignore or combat his evictions that had no legal grounds due to the nature of our loose oral agreement. I had no choice but to stay at hotels and couch surf for a few months, so no, I wasn't able to immediately forward my mail. Sure, your next point of me contacting them and placing a hold on all of my mail would have been the correct way to go about it, but how straight is your thinking when you don't have a place to live?

I'm not /trying/ to be rude, I'm just sick of seeing this copy/paste answer with the exact demeanor used. Nobody is benifiting from these 'well what you SHOULD have done' answers. Thank you, I do not have a TARDIS or DeLorean. It's tiring. I may be a kid but I don't have my thumb up my bum.

I can and would like to genuinely thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, however. It's more than I've gotten from (only) some other forums that I've gone to for guidance in the past few years.

The local police would simply refer you to the USPS Postal Inspectors.
The USPS PI will look into the matter, but don't expect anything to be done.
The LL is under no legal obligation, nor does he have a LEGAL DUTY to see to it that you receive your mail.

The LL is one of millions worldwide that may not be likable, friendly, or neighborly, but the USPS PI won't do much about your complaint.

If, however, you seek some amusement; send yourself a certified, or registered letter.

When/If the curmudgeonly fella signs for it you'll know tracking it online.

You visit him, ask for your letter.
He'll probably not have it, after hearing the lie, "I don't know nothin' 'bout no damn letter, now git!"

You can pop right over to your, by now, USPS PI pals and rat the gentleman out! This time, however, you'll have some proof, maybe.

I appreciate the actual legal insight and explanation, this is exactly what I'm looking for given my disadvantageous circumstance.

If the USPIS won't do anything about my original complaint, I may just go through the trouble to give him some truoble. Or at least inconvenience him about a letter such as that.

If it he abides and gives it to me, then I'm just going to let bygones be exactly that. I've got a career and family to focus on, this sort of stuff is usually something I just let happen and not stress myself with, but as I said, he's done this sh*t for far too long.

You're by far the most help that I've gotten on this matter thus far

I appreciate the actual legal insight and explanation, this is exactly what I'm looking for given my disadvantageous circumstance.

If the USPIS won't do anything about my original complaint, I may just go through the trouble to give him some truoble. Or at least inconvenience him about a letter such as that.

If it he abides and gives it to me, then I'm just going to let bygones be exactly that. I've got a career and family to focus on, this sort of stuff is usually something I just let happen and not stress myself with, but as I said, he's done this sh*t for far too long.

You're by far the most help that I've gotten on this matter thus far

Thank you, mate.

I try to help as much, and as often as I can.

If you ever have to move again and find yourself without a forwarding address, there is a FREE and easy solution available to anyone for the last 100-150 odd years.

To get YOUR mail using General Delivery,

address your mail with your first and last name,

care of "General Delivery",

c/o the post office address.

Once it arrives, the local postmaster will hold your mail for at least 30 days.

EXAMPLE:

Bobby Jay Ellison
C/O General Delivery
Happyville, TX 77777

You'll have to visit the PO and ask for your General Delivery mail, along with a picture ID.

Warning, DEA, USPS PI, and other law enforcement are rumored to monitor GD addressed mail, just saying.

Or, you can forward your mail that way, but you'll have to renew it every 30 days.

You can also forward it to a relative or trusted friend, and change it once you get established.

These folks offer another option on my suggestion:

Moving With No Forwarding Address: What do I do?

Thank you, mate.

I try to help as much, and as often as I can.

If you ever have to move again and find yourself without a forwarding address, there is a FREE and easy solution available to anyone for the last 100-150 odd years.

To get YOUR mail using General Delivery,

address your mail with your first and last name,

care of "General Delivery",

c/o the post office address.

Once it arrives, the local postmaster will hold your mail for at least 30 days.

EXAMPLE:

Bobby Jay Ellison
C/O General Delivery
Happyville, TX 77777

You'll have to visit the PO and ask for your General Delivery mail, along with a picture ID.

Warning, DEA, USPS PI, and other law enforcement are rumored to monitor GD addressed mail, just saying.

Or, you can forward your mail that way, but you'll have to renew it every 30 days.

You can also forward it to a relative or trusted friend, and change it once you get established.

These folks offer another option on my suggestion:

Moving With No Forwarding Address: What do I do?

Wow.. Seriously, thank you so much my man. You've been incredibly helpful and actually taught me along the way. Cheers :)

If you lost anything of any monetary value you are free to sue the LL in small claims court for that money.

You will, of course, need your former roommate to come to court to testify as a witness to your former LL's behavior.

If you can show that the LL is actually in possession of property that belongs to you Florida allows a lawsuit for Replevin (return of property) in small claims court.

Back