Former Employer Trying to Prevent Me from Being Hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

VWorker

Previously I was doing an internship for my school as a volunteer worker with a mission agency teaching English in Cambodia. My supervisor and I had some conflicts and my school chose to terminate my internship because the distance between my supervisor and I was not conducive to a good internship. My termination had nothing to do with my organization as I had done nothing wrong according to their standards.

Prior to my internship being terminated I had a conversation with my supervisor that I when I completed my internship I was considering long term job prospects with other organizations that worked in the same area. My supervisor told me that she considered this highly inappropriate that I would want to stay in the same area and told me that if I should seek employment in the same area with another organization she would contact whoever I chose to apply with and tell them not to hire or consider me.

The organization I was working for was based in Missouri and the other organizations which I am currently planning to apply to are also based in the US. I have no intention of telling her about my new applications, but because of mutual friends it is still possible that she will find out about my applications. I understand that if an organization calls for a referance she can say whatever she likes. However, legally can she actively seek them out to give them a bad report about me and prevent me from working in the area I would like to work? If she does contact them and as a result I am not hired can I pursue any legal action against her or my previous organization?

Q: However, legally can she actively seek them out to give them a bad report about me and prevent me from working in the area I would like to work? If she does contact them and as a result I am not hired can I pursue any legal action against her or my previous organization?

A: Yes and no.

I have hired plenty of people and some of them had bad references. No one makes my employment decisions and I doubt that anyone you want a job with is going to let your former employer make their decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back