1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Forfeiture of deposit by a landlord against a tenant

Discussion in 'Security Deposits' started by dnlawgator, May 17, 2019 at 5:35 PM.

1. dnlawgator

dnlawgator Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Arizona
    When I moved into my apartment 6/11/2017, I noticed that the rug was stained and contained powdery substance that filled my vacuum cleaner bags twice. Obviously, the apartment rug was never cleaned by the previous management. I'll be moving out on 6/10/2019 and to receive my security deposit, I'm required to professionally clean the rug, or forfeit my security deposit. I have pictures of the many items that needed fixing in the apartment and gave that information to new management. I'm a senior (74) and will clean the apartm
    ent thoroughly before moving and ask final

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Bully for you, I'm sure your landlord will be very grateful to you, and if you do it correctly you should soon thereafter receive your security deposit.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

You didn't ask a question, so the purpose of your post isn't entirely clear.

Rug or carpet?

Is this something your landlord told you? If so, you might want to point out that the landlord's assertion is contrary to Arizona law governing security deposits.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Did you report that when you moved in? Photograph it? Document it?

Well, unless the cost of cleaning the carpet equals the amount of your security deposit, a forfeiture would be illegal. Read the statute provided by Z.

When did you give that information? Did you report it contemporaneously? Or did you save it all up until move out when it probably doesn't matter anymore?

What does that have to do with anything? I'm a senior (72). Should I be announcing that every time I answer a question here.? :D

5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Yes, it is important that everyone be aware of your ADVANCED age. :D

Furthermore, by adding your PURPORTED age to your posts, everyone will KNOW your answers are correct. ;) LMFAO

6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I'll do it, if you do it. :cool:

If age equates to wisdom I suspect that you are, indeed, the wisest of us all. :p