Forfeiture of deposit by a landlord against a tenant

dnlawgator

Jurisdiction
Arizona
When I moved into my apartment 6/11/2017, I noticed that the rug was stained and contained powdery substance that filled my vacuum cleaner bags twice. Obviously, the apartment rug was never cleaned by the previous management. I'll be moving out on 6/10/2019 and to receive my security deposit, I'm required to professionally clean the rug, or forfeit my security deposit. I have pictures of the many items that needed fixing in the apartment and gave that information to new management. I'm a senior (74) and will clean the apartm
ent thoroughly before moving and ask final

I'm a senior (74) and will clean the apartment thoroughly before moving

Bully for you, I'm sure your landlord will be very grateful to you, and if you do it correctly you should soon thereafter receive your security deposit.

You didn't ask a question, so the purpose of your post isn't entirely clear.

When I moved into my apartment 6/11/2017, I noticed that the rug was stained

Rug or carpet?

to receive my security deposit, I'm required to professionally clean the rug, or forfeit my security deposit.

Is this something your landlord told you? If so, you might want to point out that the landlord's assertion is contrary to Arizona law governing security deposits.

I noticed that the rug was stained and contained powdery substance that filled my vacuum cleaner bags twice.

Did you report that when you moved in? Photograph it? Document it?

to receive my security deposit, I'm required to professionally clean the rug, or forfeit my security deposit

Well, unless the cost of cleaning the carpet equals the amount of your security deposit, a forfeiture would be illegal. Read the statute provided by Z.

I have pictures of the many items that needed fixing in the apartment and gave that information to new management.

When did you give that information? Did you report it contemporaneously? Or did you save it all up until move out when it probably doesn't matter anymore?

I'm a senior (74)

What does that have to do with anything? I'm a senior (72). Should I be announcing that every time I answer a question here.? :D

Back