Foreign judgement

Schoory

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My daughters mother has filed a petition for foreign judgment to have any future cases moved to her state of Illinois. I have always lived in MO, and so did the child and mother when the original support case and decision were filed and executed 6 yrs ago. Now, she's filing to have a foreign judgement based on the fact that she and my daughter live there now. Do I have a way to quash the petition or appeal it? We were never married, I pay support currently and have visitation currently.

My daughters mother has filed a petition for foreign judgment to have any future cases moved to her state of Illinois. I have always lived in MO, and so did the child and mother when the original support case and decision were filed and executed 6 yrs ago. Now, she's filing to have a foreign judgement based on the fact that she and my daughter live there now. Do I have a way to quash the petition or appeal it? We were never married, I pay support currently and have visitation currently.

You could challenge the matter for lack of jurisdiction over YOU, a citizen of State XXX, by State ZZZ.

There's far more to this than a few words can say.

I suggest if you wish to challenge this, you HIRE a lawyer to make sure its done correctly.

I don't see why it matters to you, because you'll still owe the child support, and your existing visitation should stand.

It might be too late to challenge the child's removal from State of Confusion, to State of Affairs.

Again, federal law and the uniform Compact Child Support and Custody law do speak to this.

However, its far too complex for an online forum to assist you.

Back