Foreign home buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does he do that? I advised him to contact my bank and also my real estate person and he is doing that but I need to be smarter re this. Thx.

He buys it just like a US citizen: he pays you the purchase price and you transfer title.

That said, there is the potential for more glitches in the sale process. The bank might want a minimum downpayment, e.g. 20%, because the purchaser is not a resident. He also might have problems getting a mortgage. There may be some tax withholdings. You should consult with a real estate lawyer.

He doesn't want a loan, he wants to set up a deposit account in order to pay for the house. Would a passport number work? Or British ID number? Thx

Depends on the bank. He should talk to them.

You shouldn't do this for him. My spidey-sense is tingling - this smells like it's ripe for fraud. If he wants to buy, he needs to step up himself and organize the finances.

Another question please. What type of payment device from a foreign bank is safe to use in paying down payment or full payment for my home? Bank check, bank draft, certified check, etc. Thx again. Sorry to be such a novice. Bev

As a matter of fact, many foreign sales are 100% cash transactions. Foreign cheques can be cancelled, foreign bank drafts can be fraudulent.

Allow sufficient time for the deposit - whether cheque, draft, or whatever - to be confirmed before closing. It could take weeks for your bank to find out that a foreign cheque is a fake.

You should use a lawyer to handle the transaction, you should discuss this with your bank, and you should consider using an escrow service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back