Foreclosure of maritable property

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisya36

I have been divorced from my ex for 10 years, however he still lives on the property that we bought jointly when we were married. The court awarded him the right to live on the property. Taxes have not been paid since I left and now he is insisting that I pay half the taxes because my name is on the deed. He has already received a foreclosure notice that if the taxes are not paid they will foreclose. 6 months ago I spoke with him about letting me sign my name off the property and he will not let me. What can I do to save my credit? Can I force him off the property so that I can pay the taxes and own the property or can I force him to sell the property and pay the taxes. I have no interest in the property, I just don't want my credit ruined.
Please help!!

daisya36 said:
I have been divorced from my ex for 10 years, however he still lives on the property that we bought jointly when we were married. The court awarded him the right to live on the property. Taxes have not been paid since I left and now he is insisting that I pay half the taxes because my name is on the deed. He has already received a foreclosure notice that if the taxes are not paid they will foreclose. 6 months ago I spoke with him about letting me sign my name off the property and he will not let me. What can I do to save my credit? Can I force him off the property so that I can pay the taxes and own the property or can I force him to sell the property and pay the taxes. I have no interest in the property, I just don't want my credit ruined.
Please help!!
I'd like to help you, but am not quite sure I understand your situation completely. Here's my questions:

1. Did you ever sign a Quit-Claim Deed?

2. Were you represented by an attorney during your divorce proceeding?

3. What does your Settlement Agreement state as to the property ownership, taxes, etc.?

After I receive the answers to these questions, then I feel I might be able to answer your questions and concerns. :)

Malibu Barbie said:
I'd like to help you, but am not quite sure I understand your situation completely. Here's my questions:

1. Did you ever sign a Quit-Claim Deed?

2. Were you represented by an attorney during your divorce proceeding?

3. What does your Settlement Agreement state as to the property ownership, taxes, etc.?

After I receive the answers to these questions, then I feel I might be able to answer your questions and concerns. :)

I have never heard of a quit-claim deed.
I was represented by an attorney and I made it clear that I did not want the property because I knew he would never leave me alone if I lived there
He was given full rights to live on the property, but it says nothing about ownership or taxes in the settlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back