Foreclosure from left field

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC9696

Gotta question regarding real estate loans/law. My wife's aunt (a CA licensed RE agent) lost two Calif. properties to the economy and got 2 years behind in her property taxes on the third home (which she is renting). She got that loan from WAMU which is now CHASE bank.

She owed roughly 7K in taxes and had a payment plan in place to pay them, then CHASE sent her a notice stating they had paid her $13K in back property taxes and this balance was due in 30 days or they would begin foreclosure proceedings. This is patently unfair and when she tried to discuss the obvious issues with CHASE, she got the run around. Apparently CHASE is moving a lot of departments and people around and nobody could discuss this issue intelligently with her, mostly they agreed it seemed harsh and stated they were unable to assist her because CHASE is in transition and nobody is assigned to this yet.

Have you heard of this? Is there some CA state or federal law applicable that addresses such actions? She's pretty broke and can barely afford an atty but I told her I would try to find out if there was a solid argument she could make via Certified Mail to halt the foreclosure in 2 weeks. She has a deal closing soon which may eleviate some of the problem but $13K is double what she really had due.
Thanks,
Bruce

EDIT: Just got an update. They PREPAID the next year of property taxes and added penalties, thus the difference in the amt owed and paid. State confirms payment.

Last edited:
All those papers she signed when she purchased the house states she will need to pay the taxes and insurance if she Fails to do so, then they will and she will be penalized for it—the reason the bank paid them is they are owners of this house too; they have more to lose if the state takes the house because of back property taxes. However they should be willing to make payment arrangements with her- They should have sent some notifications off to her telling her they were planning to do this, at that time she should have contacted them and educated them about the payment arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back